Enviro Justice CONCERNS ABOUT: "An Act to Promote Housing Choices" H4075, hearing Tuesday

Terra

Jan 26, 2018, 2:14:46 PM1/26/18
Colleagues...

A bill is being fast tracked that might be very dangerous to environmental/social justice
in Massachusetts.

The bill: https://malegislature.gov/Bills/190/H4075

The hearing: Jan 30th 10 am: https://malegislature.gov/Events/Hearings/Detail/2872

A number of us in Acton, have developed a memo listing concerns about H4075. (see below)

To me, these concerns are based on "environmental justice". Personally, I fear that the bill will
hurt the most vulnerable. It looks like it would promote "more moderate priced housing", but at what cost? Where are the provisions to protect the most vulnerable? Where are the provisions to ensure sustainability actually happens, rather than using the word "sustainability" to greenwash developer giveaways.

See our concerns below. Please ask your own cities and towns to detail, in writing, the impacts to concerns such as these. And if you are as concerned as me, please ask your Town Managers to notify the Massachustts Municipal Association and ask your leadership to ask Legislators to vote NO!

The hearing is Tuesday, this is being fast-tracked. We only have a few days to act.

Terra

 ~*~*~*~
Terra Friedrichs
+1 978 808 7173
Jan 28, 2018, 3:00:16 AM1/28/18

Housing/environmental justice people! H4075 is expected to accelerate gentrification...

The "trickle down" housing plan HAS NOT WORKED! why would we fall for it again, giving developers 20-40% of every city/town to do anything they like? this is the same-but-more plan...it hasn't worked yet! How much do we give them before we admit that they will NEVER build what we need without MAKING IT A REQUIREMENT! the bill does NOT make very/extremely affordable housing a requirement for this zoning giveaway. AND what's worse, is that it'll create a HUGE market demand for new gas pipelines, because the zoning does NOT require renewable energy.

See below for details. It's a tiny gain for a HUGE loss to the most vulnerable.
This is being "fast tracked" so act quickly!