[OCC News] Winter Peace Post and final reminder of our Mertens award event on 4/2

OCC News

Apr 1, 2011, 11:30:57 PM4/1/11
to occ...@centerforconscience.org
Hello Peacelover,

Here's the latest Peace Post, just in time for our big event tomorrow! I
call it the (Say goodbye to) Winter 2011 Issue, if you know what I mean. (If
the attachment gets lost over the interwebs, you can find it at our web
site, centerforconscience.org.) Lot's of news packed into just four pages,
because, goodness, we've been busy!

And I will add a final reminder about our event on Saturday. I hope we will
see you there, because I have to tell you, I think it will be remembered as
one of the more inspiring and uplifting events this year.

For the past two weeks I have been acquainting myself with Father John Vrana
-- in person and through public records and personal recollections and I
have been brought to tears more than once, and also been given a huge boost
in motivation and encouragement for the work we do here at OCC. I came to
Oklahoma in 2003, so wasn't so fortunate to meet him and stand with him
during those difficult times when it was rare for such dissent to the status
quo and mainstream opinion. But John Vrana took such stands, on civil rights
in '64, on Vietnam in '65 and he was truly as courageous as Dorothy Day and
Ammon Hennessey, whom he counted as his guides and mentors and tried to
emulate. When we stand today against military intervention in Libya, or in
support of Bradley Manning, we experience but a fraction of the public
condemnation and official disapproval that Father John endured for his
belief in peace and justice. He endured, and persevered, and met the
challenge with grace.

OCC is so honored to have this small recognition for a man of faith and
conscience who did great things right here in Oklahoma. Join us tomorrow to
learn a bit more about him (and about the Mertens for whom the award is
named) and to enjoy the music of singer/songwriter Peggy Johnson.

The event is free, though we will gratefully accept any donations for our
work. We will have light refreshments.

Date: Saturday, April 2, 2011
Time: 7 - 9 pm
Place: Mayflower UCC Church, 3901 NW 63rd, OKC

If you ever have any questions about OCC, or want to get more involved,
please get in touch with me.

Rena Guay
Executive Director
Oklahoma Center for Conscience | centerforconscience.org
405-598-7362

peacepost2-1.pdf