[OCC News] Reminder: Oklahoma CO Award event tonight

OCC News

May 12, 2012, 10:43:47 AM5/12/12
to occ...@centerforconscience.org, okobj...@yahoogroups.com
We hope we will see you tonight at our primary event of the year. The announcement with complete details is below. We have found some amazing stories and will share some of them at the event. We will also share reports about our work over the past year. Even we are surprised and amazed by how much we accomplished, thanks to your financial support that keeps our organization going!

If you know about a CO with an Oklahoma connections* who deserves to be remembered/honored, we will continue to accept names and distribute certificates after the ceremony.

If you can't make it but would like to make a donation for our work for war resistance and peacemaking, use the Paypal tool on our website to contribute with a credit card, or mail a check to Joy Mennonite/OCCPR, 504 NE 16, OKC 73104.

Thank you for another great year!

Rena Guay

Oklahoma Conscientious Objectors to be recognized for stance against war

You are invited to join The Oklahoma Center for Conscience and Peace Research, its supporters and friends on Saturday May 12 for a recognition and celebration of Oklahoma conscientious objectors*. On that evening, OCCPR will host its annual event that observes International Conscientious Objector Day by honoring a special person or persons who displayed courageous dedication to their conscience for refusing to fight or support war despite the personal cost.

There have been and are many such people in Oklahoma, but they are being lost to history if present-day peace advocates do not remember them and record their sacrifice.

Please join us as we honor the Oklahoma COs we have been able to locate -- and the many who have passed away or otherwise remain unknown. Let us hold up their acts of conscience and thus encourage new generations of war resisters in Oklahoma.

The event will be held at Mayflower Congregational UCC Church, 3901 NW 63rd in Oklahoma City, starting at 7pm. The program will include a video featuring interviews with Oklahoma COs and current peace and justice activists who are inspired by them. Entertainment will be provided by musically talented members of the local community, many of whom are members of OCCPR, supporting organizations or other peace activists. Light refreshments will be served.

Conscientious Objector Day is officially observed around the world on May 15.

For more info visit centerforconscience.org or call 405-771-4743.

* COs from Oklahoma or with an Oklahoma connection (stationed at one of the state's military bases, did alternative service in Oklahoma, or did time in prison in Oklahoma for refusing to serve).