Thank You - Penny

penny rich

Aug 19, 2021, 9:20:32 AM8/19/21
to ALL_BOCC_MANAGER_CLERK, Bill Ward
Bill,
Thank you so much for your kind words.
As we watch the fires burn out west with record breaking heat and hurricanes coming one after another on the east coast we (Orange County) need to show our continued dedication to combat the climate crisis we are now in. That is why climate mitigation is my #2 top priority after housing.
Penny

 Orange County Commissioners,
    Two factors make climate change relentlessly insidious.  The unapparent connection and long lag time between greenhouse gas emissions and climatic disasters hampers concerted action; and any delays in response compounds the crisis.  The scope of this crisis was recently addressed by the sixth Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change assessment which clarifies the magnitude of the threat and emphasizes the need for swift and decisive action.  Residents of Orange County sense this threat and are responding by adopting electric vehicles faster than any other county in North Carolina.  Through June of this year Orange County electric vehicle registration is 150% of the allocated challenge from Governor Cooper's Executive Order 80 (80,000 electric vehicles registered in North Carolina by 2025.  No other county has even achieved 100%).  Penny Rich embodies this spirit to act decisively against climate change.  She not only promotes electric vehicle adoption but she has detailed many other actions to combat climate change in her application.  She also recognizes the disproportionate effect that the climate crisis has upon lower income communities.  Orange County needs Penny Rich's leadership on climate change and other issues.
    One of the most significant challenges that the climate crisis poses is the cost of beneficial electrification or the transition from fossil fuels to electricity.  The cost for governments can be significant even if assistance is only provided to low income households that do not have the resources to transition from fossil fuels to carbon-free generated energy.  There are about 6000 low income households in Orange County that currently rely on natural gas for water, space heating and other household needs.  To transition these households from natural gas to electricity at roughly $10k/household would cost $60 million.

Bill Ward
Climate Activist
Director of Electric Vehicles for Orange County
………………………
Penny Rich-she/her/hers

penny rich

Aug 19, 2021, 9:20:38 AM8/19/21
to ALL_BOCC_MANAGER_CLERK, Jean Bolduc
Jean,
Thank you so much for your continued support. And thank you for your service to Orange County.
Penny

 Dear Commissioners,
Please consider my recent column (link below) regarding your appointment to fill Commissioner Dorosin's seat. As you know, I have served on a few County boards and commissions over the last 30 years. I'm familiar with what the Board of County Commissioners are responsible for and have worked hard to support you over these many years.

As you make this decision, you will be in the unusual position of standing in the place of Orange County voters, not just exercising judgment from your own point of view. You're expected, therefore, to follow the voters' intent. In my interpretation, that intent is clear and you should appoint former Commissioner Rich to serve until a special election is held.

I thank you in advance for your consideration of my considered opinion regarding your upcoming appointment and thank you for your service to our community.

………………………
Penny Rich-she/her/hers

penny rich

Aug 19, 2021, 9:20:49 AM8/19/21
to ALL_BOCC_MANAGER_CLERK, Sean Ewing
Sean,
Thank you so much for you continued support. As you know one of my priorities is to continue to locate companies with good paying living wage jobs to northern Orange County and Mebane EDDs. The past 8 years as commissioner has allowed me to build relationships with our northern and rural folks in the county. I understand the need for jobs and most importantly the need to diversify our tax base to reduce the burden on residents and increase our budget allowing for more funding for county services and schools.
Penny

 Fellow Orange County Commissioners,

I ask all of you to consider Penny Rich for appointment to the Orange County Commissioner Board. Her leadership focuses on bringing well-paying and low-environmental impact jobs to Mebane and Orange County. These jobs have helped give opportunities to residents in need of employment as well as pathways for residents to move up the economic ladder.  One such project, the ABB expansion helped bring an investment of $39.9 million to our areas. In fact, ABB is still growing and hiring.

Additionally, she is invested in the future of Mebane and Orange County and has invited Mebane to working meetings to discuss new development and water and utilities for the Economic Development District. Communication will be key to a successful future.

Furthermore, Orange County and Mebane are at a critical point in our history as more people move to the area to live as well as work. Often, couples and young families pick Mebane and western Orange County for the ability to commute East or West. Education, jobs, and the plethora of recreational activities between the mountains and the ocean are huge driving factors for current and future residents. Our future is bright; we need to continue to work collectively with Orange County and move forward together. I would welcome Commissioner Rich back on the board and hope the current Commissioners can consider appointing her, especially as she was the next highest vote-getter in the last primary election.

Warmest regards,

Sean C. Ewing, Councilmember

City of Mebane

………………………
Penny Rich-she/her/hers

penny rich

Aug 24, 2021, 3:57:44 PM8/24/21
to ALL_BOCC_MANAGER_CLERK, Melissa McCullah
Melissa,

Thank you for your continued support. Climate Change after Housing has always been my priority. I want to make sure that our children and their children have a safe, equitable earth to live on as we work to mitigate the effects of climate induced crisis. Every home we insulate, every step to use renewables, reduction in water use, switching out light bulbs (turning out the lights when we are not using them), reducing paper consumption, using public transportation or cycling, reduce single use plastic, and eat locally, all this adds up. We have to act now! I pledge to continue this work.
Thank you
Penny

 Dear Orange County Commissioners,
     I am writing today to strongly advocate that you appoint your experienced former chair,  Penny Rich, to the vacant seat.

     First, quite simply, is that she received the next most votes in the last election, falling a mere handful short of reelection.   The voters' will should be respected.

     The second reason has to do with her understanding, experience  and record working on local climate and resiliency action, sorely needed to work at the necessary speed according to the latest report from the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC).  I am speaking now for myself, but, as you may know, I serve as the chair of the Orange County Climate Council and my expertise comes from my 30+ years as an environmental scientist for the EPA, recently retiring in the position of Associate Director for the Sustainable and Healthy Communities Research Program.  I know that local governments too often underestimate the importance of their actions on climate and sustainability, for contributing to its causes, for enacting effective solutions and for capturing the co-benefits of those actions for their community at large.

   Penny knows that local climate action is integrated into most community actions and decisions, as noted by her climate priorities: creating sustainable public transportation options, using more renewable energy at county facilities, reducing emissions through the use of electric vehicles or hybrids (including plug-in electric hybrids) in our county fleet, encouraging local food production and consumption, and promoting water conservation. We must invest in renewable energy, infrastructure updates, and help vulnerable residents.

   To move at the necessary speed, we need someone who understands how to act fast, where the leverage points are (like transit partnerships), where actions are practical, feasible or difficult and how actions can capture co-benefits or create hardships.  Penny has a record showing this knowledge and the will and ability to act effectively on those.

  She has a record on advancing equity, and knows we must address housing and transit equity with our climate actions.  The two are inextricably linked, but also where a climate focus on diminishing vehicle miles traveled can also diminish disproportionate burdens by increasing housing accessible to jobs, so people don't have to have a car in order to have a job and can free up more of their money for housing.

   Orange County has set ambitious, but vitally important, climate goals.   To meet our  commitments and live our values, we need more than statements and plans, but the knowledge and experience to make it happen, and happen ASAP.  The IPCC has emphasized that we no longer have time to waste.  As much as I respect all four women nominated for the vacant Commission seat, Penny Rich is the only one who can provide the immediate, practical and critical climate and resiliency knowledge and experience to the Board.    I implore you to appoint her to the vacant seat, and let her hit the ground running!

With gratitude for all you do,
Melissa McCullough
………………………
Penny Rich-she/her/hers

penny rich

Sep 2, 2021, 9:08:56 AM9/2/21
to ALL_BOCC_MANAGER_CLERK, Donna Bell
Donna,

You are an amazing friend and colleague. We learn so much together when we move our vision and passion to the next level. I appreciate your continued support. Thank You!
Penny

Dear County Commissioners,

I write to you as you deliberate the question of filling the seat left vacant by the departure of Mark Dorosin.  This is a very difficult decision.  During my time as a Chapel Hill Town Council Member, I remember the process and attention needed to fill a seat and I do not envy your task.  I do believe that choosing Penny Rich to fill the open seat would serve the people of Orange County as she is the most qualified candidate and has repeatedly shown her dedication and leadership for the past 20 years.

I have lived in the Northside community of Chapel Hill for over twenty years. My decision to apply for a seat on the Chapel Hill Town Council was rooted in my desire to advocate for affordable housing, equity, and social justice issues that impacted that community but were connected to the decisions that were made for the whole town.  During my time on Council with Penny, I found her to be a partner in advocacy.  Systems don’t like to change and having a strong advocate who is willing to put their shoulder to the wheel to get things done is invaluable

When I came to council, my daughter had just turned one year old.  Penny had already been serving on the OWASA board for six years while raising two boys and running her own business.  She was great support and mentor to me as a new civic servant.  People have said that seeing my being on the council while raising my daughter gave them the confidence to seek public office.  I want you to know that I couldn’t have done it without Penny behind me.

Our community has faced other crises, but none to the extent to the one we face now. I was impressed by not surprised by Penny’s leadership during the COVID crisis, the most extraordinary and challenging health crisis we have ever faced.  Penny has shown herself to be a collaborative and thoughtful decision-maker.  She has rallied staff in all jurisdictions as well as UNC to share resources.  She worked hard to build relationships that would protect our entire community.  She knows the importance of inspiring others to keep an eye on the end game. I trust that Penny could continue to help steer this community through this health emergency as well as engage in the heavy lifting that will be needed during our community's recovery.

It is because of what our community is facing that we need the most qualified person with the best set of tools.  Penny knows the job.  She held the position for eight years. Her leadership and experience mean she can hit the ground running.  She has the relationships and drive we need to help steer us through the current emergency and imagine a recovery.

Sincerely,
Donna Bell, MSW, LCSW

………………………
Penny Rich-she/her/hers

penny rich

Sep 2, 2021, 9:09:02 AM9/2/21
to ALL_BOCC_MANAGER_CLERK, Bell, Danny
Danny,
Thank you so much for your continued support. You have taught me so much about the Lumbee and Coharie Tribes. The struggle is real. Thank you for your service to Orange County and North Carolina for the work you have done as appointed by the Governor. I also want to thank you for helping me/Orange County with the wording on the resolution I co-sponsored to recognize Indigenous Peoples Day.

Penny

Dear Orange County Board of County Commssioners,

I write to you today to support the appointment of Penny Rich to the open seat on the Orange County Board of County Commissioners (BOCC).

Several years ago, I was introduced to Penny and she learned that I was American Indian of the Lumbee and Coharie Indian tribes of eastern North Carolina.  Penny was most gracious and took the time to provide helpful information that helped me understand the local community issues, and how the government worked in the rural areas, and urban cities of Orange County.  Over the years, I’ve observed Penny speak at many events, programs and forums, and she was always able to convey a sound and reasonable approach to addressing and fostering caring relationships in our very diverse community. Penny was interested in the welfare of every person, even American Indians. She worked to diversify the regional tax base, increase affordable housing, and encourage effective collaboration on social justice. Pennys views are well known, most everyone knows of her record of service and that she is dedicated, prepared, and a smart hard working public servant.  Penny has always articulated a more balanced approach to the growth, family life and future of Orange County.

Thank you for this opportunity to support Penny Rich, an informed practitioner of good governance in Orange County.

With appreciation,

Danny Bell

………………………
Penny Rich-she/her/hers

penny rich

Sep 2, 2021, 9:09:06 AM9/2/21
to ALL_BOCC_MANAGER_CLERK, Elaine Martin

Elaine,

Thank you so much for your continued support. And thank you for your service to the LGBTQ+ community in Orange County and beyond. You are an inspiration and a role model. We all need to take a moment to make sure we are treating all of our residents with respect and dignity. You lead the way.

ThankYou
Penny

 Honorable Commissioners,

Please read this in its entirety. I have known Penny Rich for about six years and have lived in Orange County for the last 23.  Our paths crossed due to our mutual involvement with non-profits through those years.  Her presence in these venues has been ubiquitous and it’s no coincidence to find her where service to the community is occurring.

We live in the county, but not in an incorporated municipality, therefore county commissioners are  our only locally elected representation in community affairs. Until she recently lost her seat by only seven votes, we were very glad she was a commissioner.  By the way, I am not an authority on Orange County elections, but it seems to me that with her prior experience and only losing by seven votes, a vacated seat should be hers’ as a matter of course, unless there has been some intervening legal issue that would prohibit her service.  To my knowledge, she is the only one who showed sufficient interest and made the investment to actually run for the office.  I would certainly lose confidence in a county government that chose to ignore this.

Each time I have occasion to be with Penny, I make time for a question about an issue.  Sometimes its transportation, or affordable housing, or healthcare, social justice, or education.  She has always come across as casual and friendly, and I know that being a commissioner is not a full-time job, but the depth of detailed knowledge in her responses has always amazed me.  I’ve always thought that she cannot get this knowledgeable about county affairs just by attending commission meetings.  I realize that she makes herself an expert because she needs to be to be a great commissioner, not just an average one.  She impresses me and makes me feel I’m in good hands.  It’s also interesting how serious she gets in these discussions.  Her casual banter becomes focused and intentional.

I’ve been present when Penny has received awards from constituent organizations, peers, and non-profits. Naturally, these were in recognition of work she had done to improve the lives of others.  I’ve understood the background on some of these because I am personally aware of generous contributions she’s made to non-profits.

I also know from personal experience that she is accepting, supportive, and inclusive of the diversity in our community.   Her friends, supporters, colleagues, and constituents are people of color, LGBTQ people, immigrants, and people from socio-economic groups.

In conclusion, I strongly recommend that Penny Rich succeed Mark Dorosin as Orange County Commissioner.  She’s proven, dedicated, passionate, knowledgeable, and capable.  She is a people’s choice rather than an administrative choice.  She lost the 2020 election to Mark by 7 votes, so she has effectively been elected as first runner up to him.  Further, she is also a Democrat, as is Mark, and therefore represents the same constituents.  Please do not disenfranchise us.

Thank you for your attention,

Elaine Martin

………………………
Penny Rich-she/her/hers

penny rich

Sep 2, 2021, 9:09:11 AM9/2/21
to ALL_BOCC_MANAGER_CLERK, Joy Ostroff
Joy,

Thank you so much for your continued support. Your work and commitment to NCAAN has been an inspiration for me to continue to recognize the struggle that our LGBTQ+ community deals with on a daily basis. NC can and must do a better job to protect our gay and trans youth. I will always be there to fight with you.

Penny

 To The Honorable Orange County Commissioners:

I have known Penny Rich for more than 6 years of my 23 years living in Orange County and 16 years working at Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center.  She is an avid supporter and ally of our LBGTQA+ community. Holding several fundraisers in my home for North Carolina Aids Action Network, Penny donated and catered these events with deliciousness that she helped me professionally serve while providing updates about her service as Commissioner to our greater community. Living in the county, but not in an incorporated municipality, Penny was my only local representation in community affairs.

Penny lost her bid for her third term as incumbent Commissioner to Mark Dorosin representing District 1, by seven votes. Subsequently a few months later, Mark announced and accepted a position to teach law at Florida A&M College of Law, effective July 31, 2021.  State statute requires that Dorosin’s seat be filled within two months.  Since he is a Democrat from District 1, his replacement must also be a Democrat from District 1 and this seat must be filled within two months from vacancy.  Once the seat has been filled, a new election will be held in 2022 to fill the seat for the remaining two years.  The seat will be filled for a little more than a year prior to this election.

I have known Penny to be a hardworking, honest, intelligent person.  When I reviewed her bio and application my findings only supported my firsthand knowledge and intuitions of Penny.  Her breadth of work and leadership while in-office are astounding to me, a voter.  Why would we not have Penny fill this void in the next 12+ months?  And, if Penny chooses, let the voters again opine through their vote in 2022.  Penny was runner up to the last election with 12,496 of our votes not to mention Mark Dorosin endorsement of Penny Rich.  “Penny Rich, who formerly held the seat, is the obvious choice to fill it in his absence. “…obviously beloved by many of the voters and has the experience and background.  She certainly would be my top pick,” Dorosin said. (INDY Week Rebecca Schneid, June 4, 2021).   To recap and highlight what Mark refers to and BOCC experienced during Penny’s tenure;

o   Orange County Visitors Bureau: Boards of Directors
o   Triangle Council of Governments: Alternate
o   NACo – National Association of County Commissioners Telecommunications and Technology committee
o   Orange County Food Council
o   TARPO: Alternate (Triangle Rural Area Planning Organization)
o   Chatham Orange Work Group
o   Durham Orange Chapel Hill Work Group
o   School Collaboration Work Group
o   NCDOT Quarterly Work Group
o   Legislative Issues Work Group Past board service;

Past Board Service: Community Home Trust: Board of Directors - Historic Rogers Road Task Force – Solid Waste Advisory Group – Intergovernmental Parks Workgroup - DCHC MPO – Juvenile Crime Prevention Council

I believe the voters were overwhelmingly clear, Mark Dorosin was clear, and I am clear that the applicant Penny Rich with her stated and proven qualifications, track record, commitment, deep seated clarity of purpose and goals for District 1 and the greater community is the choice to once again wear the comfortable shoes that she broke in and is ready to get back on the road for all of us.

Joy Ostroff, RN, BSN, OCN Emeritus
………………………
Penny Rich-she/her/hers

penny rich

Sep 2, 2021, 9:09:20 AM9/2/21
to ALL_BOCC_MANAGER_CLERK, Linda Foxworth
Linda,

Thank you so much for your continued support. I am very much in support of early childhood education and continue to explore solutions to create a pre-K program for every child in the county as well as continued education after high school.

Penny

August 25, 2021

Dear Members of Orange County Board of County Commissioners:

I am writing in support of Penny Rich to replace Commission Mark Dorosin on the Orange County Board of County Commissioners.

I have known Penny Rich since the mid 2000’s and have worked with her through the Orange County Democratic Party on a number of projects that have benefited Orange County citizens. I have found her to be open, honest, thoughtful in her participation, and committed to follow through.

As a local Early Childhood Care and Education provider and advocate, and the past director of the KidSCope program, I have known Penny to be supportive of young children and their families, and professionals such as teachers and therapists who serve them. When we support our youngest children in having the opportunity to fulfill their potential, and we create the best outcomes in health, education, and economic well-being for everyone in Orange County.

Every child, regardless of their race, family income, or zip code, deserves an equitable opportunity to thrive and succeed in life. Policies, programs, and funding should ensure healthy beginnings prenatally and at birth, support families with young children, and make high-quality childcare and learning environments more accessible and affordable to all parents who want them. When we support young children in their earliest years, we prepare them to grow, learn and succeed—and our communities, workforce and economy become stronger and more productive. Penny knows this and how important it is to support these services throughout Orange County.

Penny has also advocated for other non-profits in the community that provide a wide range of services to the citizens of Orange County. Our communities and our state all have a role to play in providing every parent with the extra support that is needed during this especially critical age to help prepare the children who will be our future workers, innovators, and leaders. When families have what they need to thrive, our economy works. When policies embody equity, all children have opportunities to reach their full potential, and our society is stronger.

Thank you for considering my endorsement of Penny Rich for Orange County Commissioner, District 1.

Linda Foxworth
103 Woodshire Lane, Chapel Hill, NC, 27514

………………………
Penny Rich-she/her/hers

penny rich

Sep 2, 2021, 9:09:54 AM9/2/21
to ALL_BOCC_MANAGER_CLERK, Scott Taylor
Scott,
Thank you so much for your kind words and support. Equality NC has always endorsed me and I continue to stand and fight with our LGBTQ+ community to make sure Orange County is a place where everyone feels safe and can be themself.
Penny

 Honorable Commissioners,
It is my understanding that there is a vacancy on the Orange County Board of Commissioners, resulting from Mark Dorison‘s move to Florida earlier this year.
Please let this email serve as my strongest possible endorsement for Penny Rich to fill this vacancy.
By way of brief introduction, I am Scott Taylor, an attorney living and working in Chapel Hill for the past 22 years. I am also a past board member and Vice President of Equality North Carolina. In this capacity I know of Penny Rich’s deep and abiding commitment to furthering equality for the LGBTQ+ community, not only for our County, but also for our State. She has worked actively and tirelessly on our causes, all based on a fundamental belief in the worth and equality of our extraordinarily talented LGBTQ+ community. Penny Rich is experienced; she knows Orange County, she is industrious and she possesses a keen intellect. I cannot think of a better candidate for this vacancy. Beyond these attributes, she is also a delightful person with a wonderful personality, and has a down to earth common touch.
For these and many other reasons, once again, I want to give Penny Rich my strongest possible endorsement for this position. If you have any questions, or if you would like to hear more from me, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Respectfully yours,
Scott M. Taylor
………………………
Penny Rich-she/her/hers