OCC Expansion

L Hall

Jun 8, 2021, 9:56:24 AM6/8/21
to ocb...@orangecountync.gov

June 5, 2021

Dear Orange County Commissioners,

I am writing in response to the budget amendment concerning the date to begin expansion at Durham Tech Orange County Campus.  Our family was happy to be part of DTCC for several years through our older son.  He started classes in high school through the CCP program and completed his associate’s degree before transferring to UNC.  We decided upon OCC over the Main Campus after visiting and learning more about the offerings there.

OCC provides the perfect introduction to college classes.  The smaller campus size is not overwhelming for students and it would be beneficial to be able to take all classes at that campus if a student desired to.  It is in a convenient location and expansion would be of great benefit to the community by adding more classes to choose from.  This could only increase revenue for the school as additional classes could range from IT programming, health care courses, skilled trades, and university transfer courses.

Expansion would allow for greater student involvement including student government, social events, and academic resources that would be valuable for students closer to OCC than Main Campus.  We are now considering a similar path for our younger son who will start classes through the CCP program in the fall and plan on registering for as many classes as possible through OCC.

Please contact me if I could be of further assistance.  I appreciate your consideration in this matter.

                                                                                                                                  Sincerely,

Lara Hall