EMS Run #: 2104218:1 EMS Billing

James Huddleston

Dec 24, 2021, 9:55:50 PM12/24/21
to ocb...@orangecountync.gov
Ladies and gentlemen,
I wish to lodge a complaint against the Orange County Billing Department for Harassment and possibly undue credit reporting.

My Medical Background: I am a 74-year-old male with serious and extensive medical issues, including 3-way-heart bypass, repairing with internal veins because what was left after the heart attack would not support modern technology, later inconsistent BP required support maintenance with a pacemaker and defibrillator, lifetime history of high anxiety and Bi-polar II, supported with medication, spinal stenosis as a birth defect, sustained with morphine sulfate for the last 40-years after facet procedures failed to control pain, PTSD going back to early childhood trauma, 8-broken ankles, feet and toes, the first due to low BP as a precursor to heart attack, almost resulted in loss of foot as diagnosed by UNC Medical staff, (work originally performed in Burlington) but diagnosed by compound physician group to save the foot - exercise was successful - but initiated gross nerve damage, since passing of my wife of Progressive Multiple Sclerosis, low blood pressure worsened resulting additional 7 breaks. I continue to have major mobility issues, requiring use of a Cain for stability and walking, with occasional use of a walker to enhance stability. Annual MRI's, precipitated by unusually high migraines, found the left rear lobe had excessive white cell development. No MRI in 2020 due to Covid-19 pandemic. MRI conducted in 2021 found consistent white cell development from 2019 to still exist. In addition, the latter MRI found a blood leak in the brain. A re-review of the 2019 MRI, concluded the blood leak was present but missed.
Both conditions contributed to the mobility and stability issues already mentioned.

The day requiring EMS: I was unable to reach my prearranged ride due to issues with my phone and issues with drives turned one-half a block short due to not following instructions to Tarson Hall. All of these events cased my heart to accelerate, and my anxiety level continued to climb to a panic state, in hindsight. Eventually, a couple leaving the Dental School stopped to inquire if I needed assistance. Unable to speak, the man literally drug me by the shoulders into Tarson Hall. The EMS was called, but before their arrival the female got the oxygen tank, only to discover that it was empty. EMS checked vitals and put me in a bus. I was admitted to the ER. After 30-45 minutes I realized, the pressure had subsided indicating an obvious anxiety attack. I requested to leave, and did so. I was having worse problems with my phone. After asking several people to call a cab for me, the last person was successful, and Tarheal Taxi arrived in approximately 20 minutes to complete the 15-minute journey home.

Upon receipt of the original invoice, I set up a payment plan with my bank, paying what I could from my food budget. Payments started at $3.75, then increased to $5.00, which is the current level. It was my hope that after the Holidays, I would be able to increase payment to $10.00. Life on Social Security at my age and medical concerns is, at best, difficult. It is my hope that the Commission can provide me with some assistance, and investigate the refilling of oxygen containers, in the event that the next person experiencing my difficulties will have oxygen if needed.

Sincerely,

James Huddleston

Nancy Freeman

Dec 28, 2021, 3:15:42 PM12/28/21
to ALL_BOCC_MANAGER_CLERK

Good afternoon,

I have responded to Mr. Huddleston’s email from December 24, 2021. I am available if you have questions.

Best regards,

Nancy Freeman

Tax Administrator

Orange County Tax Office

Hillsborough, NC

919-245-2735

“Being humble means recognizing that we are not on Earth to see how important we can become, but to see how much difference we can make in the lives of others."

am loo

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  All email messages, including any attachments, generated from or received by this account are the property of Orange County Government and as such are considered public domain and are subject to the North Carolina Public Records Law.  Certain confidential information may be transmitted and any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.