Debt program a model

tony...@nc.rr.com

Nov 12, 2022, 5:53:10 PM11/12/22
to ALL_BOCC_MANAGER_CLERK

Hi commissioners.

I tripped across this article researching another topic.

I think this is an example that you might investigate and consider an investment in the community. Not sure if there are still ARPA funds available that might be used. https://www.toledoblade.com/opinion/editorials/2022/11/11/editorial-debt-program-a-model/stories/20221111016/

Tony Blake,

Orange County resident

tony...@nc.rr.com

Nov 13, 2022, 7:21:11 PM11/13/22
to ALL_BOCC_MANAGER_CLERK

Hi again Commissoners,

My apologies. Apparently the link I posted came with some additional
unintended advertising baggage tacked on.

The gist of the article is that Lucas county in Ohio partnered with a
nonprofit in NY (RIP Medical Debt) using ARPA funds to some retire residents
medical debt at a greatly discounted rate, freeing the citizen of the debt
and improving their credit.

Not sure the state would allow such a deal in NC, but it seems worthy of
investigation.

Again, my apologies for any confusion.

Here is the proper link:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.toledoblade.com_opinion_editorials_2022_11_11_editorial-2Ddebt-2Dpro&d=DwICAg&c=JRU6Crajf79kKcplUJFHFfpcQ9GkS9xWLut8YRTooJY&r=n9ktzdnh4a6Vy7Tgn_DKbZjjy8VpEeayjfLbpuaz7sw&m=Kp2ikq1nwRj7f4vS7pWy5aYu1CUv5TnwgggYeI4aQ_HKWOjzUgA7e26u6Gwi1txo&s=hm52m6jHTRxUiPhmjxiX2tYQ0jA0k2I2sbqKok3711Q&e=
gram-a-model/stories/20221111016

Here is a link to a Fortune article on the program:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__fortune.com_2022_11_11_toledo-2Dohio-2Dcity-2Dcouncil-2Dmedical-2Ddebt-2Dlucas-2Dc&d=DwICAg&c=JRU6Crajf79kKcplUJFHFfpcQ9GkS9xWLut8YRTooJY&r=n9ktzdnh4a6Vy7Tgn_DKbZjjy8VpEeayjfLbpuaz7sw&m=Kp2ikq1nwRj7f4vS7pWy5aYu1CUv5TnwgggYeI4aQ_HKWOjzUgA7e26u6Gwi1txo&s=-8u-KACCbkJnLfZK1BOZ5S492V_4q7uDmHxfpop3ZhY&e=
ounty-rip-medical-debt/

Here is a cut & past of the story I originally sent:

Toledo and Lucas County have combined to turn $1.6 million in federal
American Rescue Plan Act funds into as much as $200 million of medical debt
relief. In the process, our community has created a best practice that other
cities and counties will be able to emulate for their own citizens.

Toledo City Council voted Wednesday 7-5 to approve $800,000 in ARPA funds
for the program with RIP Medical Debt, creators of the charity that buys bad
debt from hospitals and discharges the liability.

In doing so, council secures a matching allocation by the Lucas County Board
of Commissioners, while reducing the initial proposed allocation of $1.4
million.

Heretofore, New York-based RIP has been funded by private donations. With
the Toledo program approved, RIP has created a method for people to add to
the fund with private donations. That the city, county, and public are
devoting resources is both a first for RIP and an ideal for future success.

It took council a while to get to this point. Council and the commissioners
had to think outside of the box and weigh the risks.

At least 41,000 people carry medical debt in Lucas County. They are targets
of collection efforts. Without the help supplied by RIP Medical Debt, their
options are to slow pay or not pay at all, further damaging their ability
get credit in the future.

Creditworthiness will make it easier for people in this community to live
their lives.

The RIP collaboration in Lucas County will become a model other communities
can follow.