Fwd: Duke Energy Evening Weather Update

Renee Price

Jan 15, 2022, 7:05:45 PM1/15/22
to ALL_BOCC_MANAGER_CLERK

From: Everett, Indira M <Indira....@duke-energy.com>
Sent: Saturday, January 15, 2022 6:39 PM
Subject: [EXTERNAL MAIL!] Duke Energy Evening Weather Update

Duke Energy Winter Storm Update

Good evening leaders,

Thank you for your partnership with preparations today. This evening, we have strategically staged more than 10,000 workers – power line technicians, damage assessors and vegetation workers – across the Carolinas. About 4,100 of those workers are from other companies, some based in Texas and Oklahoma. We’ll be ready to begin power restoration as soon as weather conditions safely allow.

Why are we expecting outages?

Ice-buildup on trees and branches that causes them to fall on power lines is usually the main culprit behind power outages during a winter storm. Specifically, ice buildup of a quarter-inch or more is often the threshold amount that causes trees and branches to topple.

The heavy weight of significant ice buildup directly on power lines themselves can sometimes cause the lines to fall or sag, as well. Heavy, wet snow of six inches or more also can cause trees and branches to fall on power lines.

We’d really appreciate your help sharing information with the community about how to report an outage this evening and tomorrow.

Reporting power outages

Customers who experience power outages should call Duke Energy's automated outage-reporting systems for their respective utility:

Customers may also report an outage or view current outages online at www.duke-energy.com/outages or text OUT to 57801

Duke Energy will also provide updates on its social media channels to keep customers informed if significant outages occur:

Thank you for your continued partnership as we go into tomorrow’s response.

Thanks,

Indira Everett

Director-East Region, Local Government and Community Relations