In Support of the nonprofit Hillsborough Hogs hockey organization

Andrew Kornylak

Mar 6, 2024, 3:13:53 PMMar 6
to ocb...@orangecountync.gov
Hello, I am writing in support of the nonprofit TYHNC Hogs hockey program based at the OC Sportsplex.

Being in Chapel Hill, our kids wouldn’t be playing hockey if it weren’t for the Hogs and more importantly for the awesome people in that organization. My son wobbled onto the Sportsplex ice four years ago just as the pandemic was starting - a friend from school played for the Hogs. He wore rental skates and a bike helmet. I had played hockey as a kid but I was not well versed in all the equipment he would need. The volunteer coaches of the Hogs organization immediately set him up with loaner gear and off he went. I eventually began volunteering for the team as a manager and then as a coach.

This was the start of a lifelong love of the game and friendships for all of us, including my daughter - his twin - who started playing the next year. This volunteer-run organization is very focused on low cost, accessibility to hockey and community building - hallmarks of a great non profit. They have gotten both my kids involved in teaching learn-to-play clinics for newcomers which has really made them appreciate the barriers to entry in a sport like this. They have learned deep life lessons beyond hockey by being part of this organization.

A unique aspect of the Hogs is that kids from the community generally play together year after year, and get to know each other and the coaches. This is not common with larger programs. The kids rapidly gain skill, as well as a loyalty to the program.

The Hogs program is well known for producing some very good hockey players. My kids both went on to play and thrive in the competitive Junior Hurricanes travel program. But even for kids who can compete at a high level, travel hockey is not necessarily the best option. Many players come back to a house program once they meet commitments of high school and extracurriculars, and having a program like The Hogs to come back to and play with your friends in a low-cost low-commitment atmosphere is a godsend. Our twins have both decided to do this in the fall.

TYHNC is more than a potential business to be capitalized. It is not just a lead list of parents to sell a more expensive travel hockey program for short term profit. It's a home for hockey in the community and It’s a family. The greatest value of the Hogs organization is in its volunteers and in the goodwill of the community. Please do not throw this away.

Sincerely,