New Commissioner Appointment

Beth B

Sep 1, 2021, 1:34:56 PM9/1/21
to ocb...@orangecountync.gov

Hello Chair Price & County Commissioners,

I am writing to advocate that a fresh perspective be appointed to the vacancy left by Commissioner Dorosin. This is a prime opportunity to highlight community members that often don’t have the public recognition that previous, or currently serving, public officials enjoy. The most effective way to encourage sustained public engagement is to bring people in, not keep the room full. Decisions of local governance will only become harder to make, and more buy-in from your constituents is needed.

Apologies in advance for this long-winded appeal:

Municipal representation on the Board of County Commissioners is already robust. As such, I urge you to take into account those asking for a seat at the table. Rural families, entrepreneurs, and local small business leaders - who are often overlooked, and indirectly incentivized to remain disengaged. The fact is that rural areas are a requisite to maintain a balance with economic growth. Residents of higher density areas in the county may not be fully aware of the luxuries associated with being surrounded by awesome biodiversity, a AAA+ water rating, and dedicated open spaces. If they do know, they may not be aware how in jeopardy these facets of daily life are becoming. In part, as a result of the current agenda in the name of economic development.

Exciting developments are occurring in agriculture and energy sectors. Job trainings for the next generation of technology are coming – and I don’t want to see this area miss out on an opportunity to win big by getting in on the ground floor. Our county sits in a unique position on a major thruway between two large metropolitan areas. Economic growth is needed, and it comes in many forms. While becoming an commercial-industrial node for out of state developers and commercial landlords is one way to grow, it is not the only way. Innovation requires a strong commitment to looking at all possible opportunities, and taking calculated risk. As we’ve seen in the past 18 months, projections for “what works” is changing, and we, as a community, must be willing to evolve and adapt with the information that is available.

Ultimately, this interim appointment to the OCBOCC will be made by yourselves, with consideration of public input. Eventually, elections will come around and we’ll get to vote again. Do not be quick to keep things comfortable, because we as a community need to start addressing the uncomfortable. We need more voices in the arena, not the same ones.

Thank you for taking the time to read this during your deliberation.

All the best,

Beth Bronson