RE: A little Cool This Morning! - Update

Alan Dorman

Jun 4, 2021, 4:25:29 PM6/4/21
to Building_Whitted_Office_Complex, ALL_AMS_MANAGEMENT

Occupants: Whitted

Super short version:

The parts delivered today will not work, so more parts have been ordered and will be installed on Monday or Tuesday.  In the meantime, we have changed how the HVAC system functions to get the air in the building to be more temperate until the new parts can be installed.  AMS will monitor the temperatures throughout the offices to ensure that no office is extremely hot or cold.

Longer Version: For those who wish to consider jumping into the Facilities Maintenance profession

The lines that supply hot water to the HVAC system for the entire Whitted Complex run into a ground vault(a hole in the ground encased in plastic with a plastic cover to allow easy access).  Inside the ground vault are four valves that allow AMS to shut off the hot water to each of the air handlers that service the Whitted Complex.  We installed the valves several years ago when we replaced the entire set of lines for the boiler.  The valves were installed so that we could shut off the hot water to one air handler without having to shut down the entire system.

All 4 of those valves have failed, so the contractor order four replacements.  When the new valves arrived, it because apparent that we had another problem. The replacement valves are three times larger than the original valves (think the difference between a grapefruit and a basketball). These new valves won’t fit in the ground vault.  In fact, since the two pipes run parallel to each other and are about a foot apart, the new valves wouldn’t fit, even if the ground vault was significantly larger.

So, what will you do….

Permanently remove the vales.  So instead of replacing the valves, we are going to put solid pipe back in place.  Of course, this is a special pipe meant for boilers, so it has to be ordered.  Once the new pipe is delivered on Monday or Tuesday, the boiler will have to be drained and then the new pipe installed.

But I thought you said the valves were a good thing and you are going to remove them?

Well, yes.  This is the quickest and cheapest way to ensure the entire system comes back online.  We will consider adding the valves back later if funds become available.

Have a great weekend.

Thanks,

Alan

Jun 7, 2021, 8:29:40 AM6/7/21
to Building_Whitted_Office_Complex, ALL_AMS_MANAGEMENT

Occupants: Whitted

Just a friendly reminder that office temperatures will continue to vary as we manually manipulate the HVAC system to get the offices as comfortable as possible.

Alan Dorman

Jun 8, 2021, 12:08:50 PM6/8/21
to Building_Whitted_Office_Complex, ALL_AMS_MANAGEMENT

Occupants: Whitted

The contractor is on-site now working on the repair, which is now estimated to be complete and the HVAC system fully operational by Thursday morning, June 10th.    Please be patient as we continue to monitor the temperature levels through-out the building.