Library Outreach Services

Terri Buckner

Dec 11, 2021, 1:45:22 PM12/11/21
to ocb...@orangecountync.gov
Dear Commissioners,

While I was at the library yesterday, I asked the librarian if they had a service to help seniors who don't drive get books from the library. I learned that pre-Covid there was a senior outreach staff member who worked with the senior center and care facilities around the county to provide this service, but that the position has been frozen for the past year. I would like to encourage you to support filling that position. Certainly some non-driving seniors are lucky enough to have family and friends who can provide transportation to and from the library but not all.

Furthermore, I learned that the children's services outreach staff position is also frozen. Orange County is so fortunate to have a wonderful library. Now we just need to make sure everyone has full access to their resources. Please support filling both of these outreach positions as soon as possible.

Thank you,

Terri Buckner

Bonnie Hammersley

Dec 14, 2021, 10:57:52 AM12/14/21
to Terri Buckner, ALL_BOCC_MANAGER_CLERK, Erin Sapienza

Dear Ms. Buckner,

Thank you for your email.  As the County Manager, one of the measures that I implemented in March 2020 due to the uncertainty of the economic impact of COVID-19 was a hiring freeze of vacant positions to offset a anticipated revenue loss.  I continued the hiring freeze  in the FY2021-2022 budget to reduce personnel expenditures to avoid layoffs of county positions and limit the tax rate increase.   Since the revenue collections over the past year are more positive than anticipated, I have unfrozen a number of positions in the last two weeks including the Library positions that you referred to in your email.  If you have additional questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.  Thank you.

Bonnie B. Hammersley

Orange County Manager

Whitted Building

300 W Tryon Street