! Support of Durham Tech's OC Campus !

Paura Stella Heo

Jun 8, 2021, 3:00:25 PM6/8/21
to ocb...@orangecountync.gov
Hello,

My name is Paura Heo and I am one of the thousands of students that cycle through the Orange County Campus of Durham Tech.

I am a non-traditional, female, student of color. I have been attending Durham Tech for almost three years and have most enjoyed my time on Orange Couunty's campus. I enjoy the labs and equipment we use. In fact, I took Dr. Wood's microbiology class and she fought to have several in-person labs. I am certain that without that exposure I really would not have taken away important lab techniques and other learnings!

Many students I have encountered at OCC are also minority, non-traditional students. The evening hours, the safe and central (though less-trafficked location) are imperative for our success.  Fyi, I know this is not an obvious reason nor a primary one, but driving through Hillsborough instead of Durham traffic has offered me a quieter, self-reflective time. I love the setting and choose OCC over main campus every chance I get.

Moving classes to high schools or online would really take value away from a student body that is already marginalized, socio-politico-economically.

I think it would be a huge disservice to take away funding and any opportunity for expansion of the Orange County Campus.

Thanks for your consideration,

---
Paura S. Heo
Pronouns: she/hers
Student and resident of Orange County

Paura Stella Heo

Jun 8, 2021, 4:42:16 PM6/8/21
to ocb...@orangecountync.gov
Hello County Commissioners,

I have received a response from a commissioner and it calls on me to again urge all commissioners to read my response before voting this evening. It means a lot in more ways than you might imagine. Thank you.

My name is Paura Heo and I am one of the thousands of students that cycle through the Orange County Campus of Durham Tech.

I am a non-traditional, female, student of color. I have been attending Durham Tech for almost three years and have most enjoyed my time on Orange Couunty's campus. I enjoy the labs, the newer facilities, and the quality equipment we use. During the pandemic, I was fortunate enough to take Dr. Wood's microbiology class. She fought to have several in-person labsI am certain that without that in-person exposure I would not have taken away important lab techniques and other learnings! Even the best simulations cannot replace hands-on, kinethetic (muscle memory) learning with expert in-person instruction.

Most students I have encountered at OCC are also minority, non-traditional students. The evening hours, the safe and central (though less-trafficked) location are some of the keystones of our success. And our success in the community should be one of the board's priorities!

Regarding location, I know this is not an obvious reason nor my primary one, but driving through Orannge County instead of Durham traffic has offered me a quieter, self-reflective time. I love the setting and choose OCC over main campus every chance I get.

Moving classes to high schools or online would really take value away from a student body that is already marginalized, socio-politico-economically. I think it would be a huge disservice to take away funding and any opportunity for expansion of the Orange County Campus. When placing your vote, please think of the student body as an integral part of the community you serve and future you depend on.