From Rachel; PETA: Please protect dogs in your community this summer

Rachel Bellis

Jun 8, 2021, 5:32:30 PM6/8/21
to Rachel Bellis

Dear Sir or Madam:

Greetings from People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA). I hope this letter finds you well. You may already be familiar with our work in northeastern North Carolina, where we have a boots-on-the-ground fieldwork division that assists low-income residents with caring for their animals. We offer spay/neuter surgeries on our fleet of mobile clinics; deliver custom-built sturdy doghouses to dogs who are forced to live outside 24/7; provide flea prevention, deworming medication, and food; replace heavy chains with lightweight tie-outs in areas where chaining is still legal; and offer other services—all free of charge.

On May 28, a PETA fieldworker found a chained pit bull named Star who had died of heatstroke in Roanoke Rapids. The high temperature that day was 95 degrees. Star’s chain was tangled up, so she couldn’t access any shade. Her water dish was bone dry. You might already have read about her in RRSpin or CBS17. Every summer, we find hundreds of dogs who have been chained outside with no way to escape the blistering heat and without access to potable water, adequate shelter, or shade. We hope Star’s death will serve as a wakeup call and encourage communities to pass and enforce stricter animal protection ordinances, such as banning the cruel practice of chaining.

PETA’s new public service announcement warning of the dangers to dogs of hot weather will be running on various stations across the state. Please share it with everyone you know, including your local media contacts. There are 60- and 30-second versions available here and here, respectively.

Please feel free to contact me with any questions that you might have. I can be reached at 757-672-1085 or RBe...@peta.org.

Sincerely,

Rachel

Rachel Bellis, Manager of Local Affairs

Cruelty Investigations Department

757-672-1085 | Rbe...@peta.org

757-628-0796 | Fax

Peta.org

Your gift to PETA will save animals. Please donate now.