Suggestion for ARPA funds

tony...@nc.rr.com

Jan 7, 2022, 12:47:25 PM1/7/22
to ALL_BOCC_MANAGER_CLERK

Hi Commissoners,

As a taxpayer, I suggest that Orange County investigate using some ARPA funding for raw water infrastructure improvements within the county. Specifically, for the extension of raw water lines to facilitate installation new fire hydrants that support rural fire departments.

A quick SWOT analysis reveals:

Strengths: Orange County has a terrific mutual aid system and tanker task force in Orange county capable of hauling large amounts of water. Departments have improved capabilities and have well trained and coordinated operations.

Weaknesses: Orange County’s Rural departments must haul water from local ponds to fight structure and wildland fires. However, ponds are unreliable sources of water during drought and require more ongoing maintenance than a hydrant. Sometimes ponds become inaccessible or too low to draw water from.

Threats: Orange County has had an increase in large (+4000 sq ft) homes being built in rural areas. Forest/wild land fires are also a potential problem especially during drought when pond infrastructure is at a low point.

Opportunities: A few strategically located and reliable sources of water along major routes could make the difference in saving property and lives as well as less wear and tear on equipment and more efficient use of personnel. The presence of hydrants would also help in maintaining low ISO rates which determine homeowner insurance rates. Keeping fire insurance rates low has the effect of keeping premium money in the county.

This effort aligns with strategic planning, minimizing the impact of the built environment regarding fire and public safety.

Sincerely,

-Tony Blake

Orange County resident.

Renee Price

Jan 9, 2022, 7:13:04 PM1/9/22
to Tony Blake, ALL_BOCC_MANAGER_CLERK

Dear Tony,

Thank you for the suggestion, and particularly for your concern for our community. Have you had any conversations with the fire chiefs or fellow members of the rural fire departments? We would need more information and input.

All the best to you and yours,

Renée

Renee A. Price, Commissioner/Chair
Board of County Commissioners
Orange County, North Carolina

Jan 9, 2022, 9:19:48 PM1/9/22
to Renee Price, ALL_BOCC_MANAGER_CLERK
Hi Commissioner Price,

Thank you for your response.

Reading at the ARPA funding requirements, both water infrastructure and the
provision of police, fire, and other public safety services are emphasized.
Putting two and two together, a more robust hydrant infrastructure seems
like a good fit.
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__home.treasury.gov_system_files_136_FRF-2DInterim-2DFinal-2DRule.pdf&d=DwIFAw&c=JRU6Crajf79kKcplUJFHFfpcQ9GkS9xWLut8YRTooJY&r=n9ktzdnh4a6Vy7Tgn_DKbZjjy8VpEeayjfLbpuaz7sw&m=e8exwr6yhSw01-JRpNpPcVPeqA_l3Wj_RPEAyntBIQOPvAAMzkP7bbQCs1bngV3R&s=N0mBwakOsuCFBUxoVsmfpGtQ11sWFX_j9-wNmwWBOSQ&e=

I have discussed this with Chief Nasseri, and he would certainly support
closer hydrants. When I mentioned this to Chief McCauley a couple of years
ago (who has since retired from Orange Grove) he was supportive. A couple of
strategically placed hydrants on 54 West was something our former Chief,
Jerry Lloyd also tried to accomplish. Extensions from Cavender west down
Dairyland might also be possible. A third extension south on Jones Ferry
seems like an opportunity as well. I expect there are other extensions that
would extend capabilities exist along highways 70 and 86.

What additional information do you need? I am sure the Chief's Council would
be happy to discuss and prioritize the opportunities. Who is the current
commissioner liaison?

-Tony