"White Cross Dollar General"

Tom Caulkins

Mar 27, 2023, 7:50:57 PM3/27/23
to ocb...@orangecountync.gov

Dear Board of Orange County Commissioners,

Dear Board of Orange County Commissioners,

I am writing to express my strong objection to the application for rezoning that would allow Glandon Forest Equity LLC to build a Dollar General in White Cross. I believe that this decision would have a detrimental impact on the community and its residents.

The construction of a Dollar General would harm the small businesses in the area, especially Bravos Market, a locally owned grocer that we treasure. Based on research of the impact of Dollar General on local mom and pop stores, Bravos stands to lose 30% of its business if the Dollar General is allowed to be constructed in the White Cross community.

The proposed location for the store is also problematic. White Cross currently has two gas station convenience stores and a small grocery, Bravos Market, within 500 feet of the White Cross intersection. In addition, there are already four Dollar General Stores within twelve miles of the site (two on Hwy 54). White Cross is a close-knit community with a rural character that should be preserved. Allowing the construction of a Dollar General would disrupt the harmony of the area, which we residents cherish.

Additionally, the construction of the store would only benefit the developer and the Dollar General corporation, with no meaningful contribution to the well-being of the local community. Dollar stores typically provide few (6-10 people) very low-wage jobs. We residents have made it clear that we do not want this development in our community, and our concerns should be taken seriously.

I urge the Orange County Board of Commissioners to reject the application for rezoning and deny the proposed construction of a Dollar General in White Cross. I believe that it is important to prioritize the needs and concerns of the community, and that the Board's decision should reflect the best interests of the community and its residents.

Thank you for your consideration of this matter.

Sincerely,
Tom Caulkins