James Cates Building at UNC

Mike Ogle

Jun 8, 2021, 9:56:50 AM6/8/21
to ocb...@orangecountync.gov
Commissioners,

I am writing on behalf of the James Cates Remembrance Coalition in Chapel Hill. Guided by his family (represented by cousins Nate Davis and Valerie Foushee), and in partnership with scholars from UNC, Duke, the community, and local schools, the Coaltion is undertaking a longterm effort to research, document, preserve, and share the history around the murder of James Cates on UNC's campus in 1970. (Links to some resources for more information can be found here on the website for the Center for the Study of the American South.) On the 50th anniversary last year, Mayor Pam Hemminger and Kevin Guskiewicz publicly endorsed our work.

In conjunction with that work, we are finalizing a scholarly proposal to name the Student Stores building on campus (formerly the Daniels Building after Josephus Daniels) in honor of James Cates. We are seeking endorsements from organizations/groups and individuals for the idea to rename that building for James Cates.

If any of you would like to include your name among the endorsers, please let me know by Friday. We have a growing list. If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out as well.

Thank you for your consideration.

Mike Ogle

Mark Dorosin

Jun 8, 2021, 10:08:08 AM6/8/21
to ALL_BOCC_MANAGER_CLERK

I strongly urge the Board to endorse this proposal

Mark "Commish" Dorosin
Orange County Board of Commissioners

1574899501446

Jun 8, 2021, 10:33:52 AM6/8/21
to Mike Ogle, ALL_BOCC_MANAGER_CLERK
Dear Mike,

Please add my name in support of this good idea.

Sally Greene

Renee Price

Jun 9, 2021, 1:05:09 PM6/9/21
to Mark Dorosin, ALL_BOCC_MANAGER_CLERK

Without the opportunity to discuss this openly, I would suggest that commissioners sign on individually. I already had signed on as an individual and in connection with another group.

Renée

Renee A. Price, Commissioner/Chair
Board of County Commissioners
Orange County, North Carolina

I strongly urge the Board to endorse this proposal

Mark "Commish" Dorosin
Orange County Board of Commissioners

<OutlookEmoji-1574899501446ef48b064-6546-4360-b735-634031930534.jpg>