Possible Sunday closures of salvage sheds

Greg Rapp

Jun 20, 2024, 10:16:22 AM (9 days ago) Jun 20
to ocb...@orangecountync.gov, rowil...@orangecountync.gov, sustain...@orangecountync.gov, bwo...@orangecountync.gov, jd...@orangecountync.gov, recy...@orangecountync.gov, tmy...@orangecountync.gov
Dear all
I was disheartened to learn that you may be closing the salvage shed on Sundays.
The salvage shed program is such a great asset of our county's commitment to lowering waste in the landfill, and it seems impractical to close it on a day that could be one of it's most effective!

I've seen how well this functions, both in our county and in others, to not only lower demand on the overtaxed landfills, but also to serve as a tactile reminder to everyone the degree to which we throw away things that still have so much value and use left in them.

If the county does anything regarding the salvage shed, it should be to look for ways to expand hours and expand awareness, not limit them.

Thank you for your work and consideration.

Greg Rapp
6819 Morrow Mill Rd
Chapel Hill, NC 27516

Jamezetta Bedford

Jun 25, 2024, 4:09:14 PM (4 days ago) Jun 25
to Greg Rapp, ALL_BOCC_MANAGER_CLERK, Robert Williams, Sustainability, Bruce Woody, Jason Dunn, recycling, Travis Myren
Greg,

On behalf of the Board, the Solid Waste Department is going to move the cleaning and sanitizing day for the shed from Sunday to Wednesday.  The move will increase our employee costs slightly, but the moving to Wednesday should enable more residents to recycle during the weekend. Announcements will go out soon for the change date.

Sincerely,

Jamezetta Bedford, Chair