APRIL 6TH MEETING, 7 PM

marie_...@mindspring.com

Apr 6, 2021, 3:02:41 PM4/6/21
to ocb...@orangecountync.gov
 Clerk to the Board, Lura Jensen
 Please distribute to the County Board of Commissioners

 OCB...@orangecountync.gov
                                                                                                 April 6, 2021
 Renee Price, Chair  District 2
 Jamezetta Bedford, Vice Chair  District 1
 Mark Dorosin  District 1
 Amy Fowler  At Large
 Sally Greene  At Large
 Jean Hamilton  District 1
 Earl McKee  District 2

 Dear County Board of Commissioners,

There is far more going on than the people of Orange County and Mebane
are aware of.   It is terribly frustrating and we are not getting information.

A concerned friend and I, drove out to Buckhorn where "two" warehouses
are being built, in an attempt to understand what is happening and were
more horrified. Upon further inquiry, I was informed that the land has now
been incorporated into Mebane. Wouldn’t that also include Orange County’s
Gravelly Hill Middle School,  next door and large neighborhoods of family
homes around the building site? How does something like that happen? I
am becoming more confused!   Who authorized this?  What is the heirarchy
of decision-making?

I must ask, has the area adjacent to Gravelly Hill Middle School received
zoning approval for the construction of the two, monumentally long factory
warehouses? If not, what is the explanation? Trees were cut down and
warehouses referred to as “two" in number, are being built. They are the
longest buildings, of their nature, I have ever seen. “Two” warehouses do
not sound threatening but they take up how many acres? Did the Orange
County Planning Dept., or a member thereof, create this situation? No one
has been able to explain?

Who, is responsible for placing multiple acres of factory warehouses next
door to a school? The children will not be able to play outside!

The extraordinary pollution that will be created by the daily, 18 wheeler
diesel trucks' traffic (hundreds daily} will be unbearably noisy. Inside the
classrooms, I pity teachers trying to be heard by their students and having
the ability to hear their students. Teachers will resign from their jobs.

Pollution/diesel fuel, will fill the school's hallways and classrooms!
Imagine the effects on students and teachers.   Dangerous to the health
of all the people who live, work and attend the school in the area.  Where
will the tax dollars come from to soundproof and add insulation to the
school interior?  The students still would not be able to play outside.

North Carolina already has a bad reputation of not having full-time
school nurses.   Imagine, asthma, chronic nasal and sinus infections,
headaches, allergies, lung infections, pneumonia and eventually, an
“unusual rise in the area” of tumors and cancer in all age categories.
Initial statistics will be denied, as is our custom. Take note, babies
will be the first to become ill.

Inevitably, as residents increasingly, protest, a "long-term study" of the
area will be instituted.   Following note-able increases of specific illnesses ,
that will be noted in several UNC-Hospital departments,  The School of
Social Work and UNC's Law School will also become involved.  Good
politics for UNC, bad press for this area. People are no longer inclined
to suffer for long, in silence.   Justice is being demanded, worldwide, by a
a wider range of people.

Just Sunday, I read, Texas and New Mexico combined, have the largest oil
fields in the world! I was astonished. Having long assumed it must be
Saudi Arabia, the Middle East, at any rate. These are the people who are
pushing us to spread their reckless behavior into Orange County and
Mebane.   UNC-Chapel Hill, "The First State University in the Nation", will
end up studying this area.

President Biden is urging us to set aside 30% of our land in the Nation by
2030 to save our lives! The most respected scientists tell us we -
MUST SAVE THE ENVIRONMENT IN ORDER TO SAVE OURSELVES!
All life forms are inter-dependent. We must reduce the serious/deadly
illnesses that, this time, are traveling around the world. We have been
suffering, living altered lives for over a year. We must finally be serious
and not, further exploit, or ignore, our environment.

The destruction of Texas' land, air quality and skies is phenomenal. Only
the acquisition of money seems to matter. Certainly not the Earth, water
supplies, oceans, plant life, trees that have been cleaning our air from
the beginning of time nor, wildlife and humans.

We are living on a very sick planet. USA has only four percent of the
world’s population and it is clear, worldwide, we are already a Nation
with a high percentage of chronically, sick people. The U.S. ranks with
Third World countries in its numbers of infants, who die in childbirth.

As of March 10, 2021.
USA’s population is 332 Million, 336 Thousand, 197.
China’s population is One Billion, 443 million, 578 thousand, 876. USA
has the longest record as Number #1 in the World for creating the most
pollution - fuel emissions and non-biodegradable trash-throw-aways.

We must plan forward to attract more people to Orange County. Please,
not toward self-destruction.

Thank you,

Marie de Jong