Planned Sunday closures of salvage sheds

Sadie Rapp

Jun 19, 2024, 3:48:12 PM (10 days ago) Jun 19
to ocb...@orangecountync.gov, rowil...@orangecountync.gov, sustain...@orangecountync.gov, bwo...@orangecountync.gov, jd...@orangecountync.gov, recy...@orangecountync.gov, tmy...@orangecountync.gov
Hi all,

As an Orange County resident and small business owner in the material reclamation and waste diversion industry, I am concerned about the impact that closing the sheds on Sundays will have on our efforts as a county to move towards zero waste. I know many folks are only able to access these resources on the weekends, and the sheds do not function with perfect success but they are still a tremendous asset. I know how hard the staff at collection sites work, and that the sheds need servicing, but to close them for half the weekend every single week seems like a dramatic change that will inevitably require more salvageable goods to end up in the landfill, which is counterproductive for the county and residents' goals.

Thank you for your consideration,
Sadie Rapp
Morrow Mill Rd - Bingham Township

Jamezetta Bedford

Jun 25, 2024, 4:09:46 PM (4 days ago) Jun 25
to Sadie Rapp, ALL_BOCC_MANAGER_CLERK, Robert Williams, Sustainability, Bruce Woody, Jason Dunn, recycling, Travis Myren
Sadie,

On behalf of the Board, the Solid Waste Department is going to move the cleaning and sanitizing day for the shed from Sunday to Wednesday.  The move will increase our employee costs slightly, but the moving to Wednesday should enable more residents to recycle during the weekend. Announcements will go out soon for the change date.

Sincerely,

Jamezetta Bedford, Chair