Re: Principal at Carrboro Elementary School

Jamezetta Bedford

Jan 21, 2024, 2:46:38 PMJan 21
to Jennifer Halsey, ALL_BOCC_MANAGER_CLERK

Hi Principal Halsey,

At the BOCC retreat on Friday, we robustly discussed the numerous options and debated pros and cons of the school and county facility scenarios. We compromised on a plan of issuing new debt for $90.1Million of county projects over a ten year period, placing a $300Million bond on the November 5, 2024 ballot referendum for schools and using $100Million of current funding dollars (pay-go) for school facilities also both scheduled over a ten year period.  To clarify, this will be new monies in the ten year Capital Investment Plan.  Debt is issued with a twenty year period for repayment.  The projected tax increase is 8.42 cents per $100 of real property. Benefits of a general obligation bond is that future boards must still spend the funds on the stated referendum purpose (schools) and the interest rate is lower. Using some pay-go funding does not have the lowest interest rate but preserves flexibility for future boards for timing should there be a significant economic downturn or other major changes to consider.

We all understand and have the data from the consultant's work that our school buildings have great needs. Another consultant did similar work to project the needs for county facilities which include Emergency Management Services, the courts/judicial system, a new community gym in the Fairview area, a sheriff's office, etc.

We considered whether to allocate the school bond funds on a student enrollment basis or a project basis. It turns out with the both situations, the breakout is very similar, within 3%. We decided to go with project basis which is about 60.08% to CHCCS and 39.92% to OCS. These numbers may be slightly adjusted before November.

It is important to note that the BOCC and schools have been discussing the need for a bond since the last 2016 bond, but more ernestly for two years now with a School Capital Needs Work Group and by hiring an experienced consultant re school facilities; and there are still important steps in the process through June/Nov. Next steps are for county staff to meet with the state Local Government Commission on the plan. The LGC must approve county debt issuances. We will ask the two school boards to adopt resolutions of support. In March the BOCC will review any potential adjustments at our March 7, 12 and 19 meetings, moving towards adoption of a preliminary resolution establishing the bond purpose and the "not to exceed bond amount" on April 2. We will establish a bond education committee. Staff has to file notice of intent to file an application for a general obligation bond by May 1 and file the bond application with the LGC by May 10. We have to hold a public hearing, tentatively scheduled for May 21. The BOCC is scheduled to adopt the bond order, formally set the ballot question and referendum date at our June 4th business meeting.  And, then voters go to the polls during Early voting and on Nov 5 election day.  The tax increase timing would be 7/1/2025 to 6/30/2026 fiscal year.

Please send us any additional questions and all stay tuned about this very important work for our school facilities.

Jamezetta Bedford, Chair