Missing Woman Located in South Carolina

Alicia Stemper

Jun 21, 2024, 1:52:17 PM (8 days ago) Jun 21
to Alicia Stemper

WOMAN LOCATED IN SOUTH CAROLINA

Hillsborough, NC (June 21, 2024) – The Orange County Sheriff’s Office is pleased to report that Ruth Pettiford Miles, 86, has been located, safe and unharmed.

Law enforcement officers encountered Ms. Miles in South Carolina after finding her in a gas station parking lot experiencing car trouble. Family members are on their way to pick her up.

Sheriff Charles Blackwood praised the modern technology that helped bring this case to a successful conclusion. “The NCIC entry did exactly what it was designed to do. When officers encountered Ms. Miles, the database immediately alerted them that she was a missing person from North Carolina,” he said. “But it was the Flock cameras that alerted authorities in South Carolina to be on the lookout for her vehicle, specifically in the greater Greenville area. Without that integrated system, we would have continued focusing our efforts in and around Orange County. I am grateful for communities who have the foresight to invest in the Flock system technology. Without Flock cameras, this case might have had a very different outcome.”

###

Alicia L. Stemper, Communication Manager

Orange County Sheriff’s Office

106 East Margaret Lane

Hillsborough, NC 27278

(919)245-2963