Our PickITup's are making a difference in Chinatown, just us for the next one

OCA-East Bay

May 21, 2017, 2:50:07 AM5/21/17
to oca-east-b...@googlegroups.com
Dear OCA members and supporters,

We wanted to thank everyone who supported our SEVENTH PickITup Chinatown. Even though it was Mothers' Day, we were still able to mobilize volunteers to collect a decent amount of trash and illegal dumping out of the neighborhood. As a token of our appreciation we gave out flowers, purchased in Chinatown, that our volunteers could bring to their mothers.

In addition to the bags we collected, we also reported larger illegal dumping that Public Works responded, including a full large container of hydraulic oil that was left on the corner of 9th and Webster in the heart of the Chinatown commercial core.

We believe this effort is making a difference to prevent larger accumulations of trash/dumping from forming. Also, our friends with the Chinese Community United Methodist Church last month continued with their own cleanup on the 4th Sunday of last month as part of their Working Worship program.

We hope to work with community stakeholders to address the root causes that for example lead to illegal dumping and more cigarette butts Chinatown sidewalks than we can count.

With BuildOn at Oakland High, we passed out sandwiches to the homeless staying by the Freeway.

Our next PickITup is on Sunday, June 11th 11am to 2pm, the meetup spot is still at T4. We hope you'll join us so we can expand our efforts to keep Chinatown a safe, clean and vibrant neighborhood.

See you at the next PickITup

Sincerely,
OCA-East Bay

Organizations that have committed people power to PickITup
- Alameda High School LEOS
- Asian Americans for Community Outreach
- Asian Youth Services Committee
- Berkeley City College Lions Club
- BuildOn at Oakland High School
- Chinese Community United Methodist Church
As well as the individual supporters who saw our social media postings and wanted to help.

Sponsors
- City Councilmember Abel Guillen
- AllState/Francis Lan
- Metropolitan Bank