OCA-East Bay fighting for Inclusion

OCA-East Bay

May 9, 2017, 9:39:32 PM5/9/17
to oca-east-b...@googlegroups.com
Dear OCA members and supporters,

As this year's Asian Pacific American Heritage Month is in full swing, we hope you will support the different events and activities happening throughout the Bay Area.  OCA Chapters across the country have been organizing efforts to raise awareness about the 135th Anniversary of the Chinese Exclusion Act of 1882.  At a time where there's been a lot of uncertainty and fear, OCA wanted to call attention to times in our country's past where we have faced and overcome anti-immigrant policies.

OCA-East Bay has been working with East Bay governments to integrate language about the Chinese Exclusion Act into their APA Heritage Month activities. See below the Alameda City Council presenting OCA-East Bay its proclamation.

Cities of Oakland and Berkeley are confirmed to offer resolutions, and we have heard positive feedback from San Leandro, Union City, and Alameda County. Doing this is more than a symbol, it's an official position taken by those jurisdictions.

In addition to the local proclamations, OCA-East Bay members participated in the May 6th Rally for Inclusion with the over 800 community members in San Francisco Chinatown's Portsmouth Square.  The speakers drew connections between Chinese Exclusion and similar policies than have impacted Filipino, Japanese and Muslim Americans and the importance of solidarity with other communities of color.

There's still much to be done. OCA-East Bay submitted letters of support to AB 946 (Ting) "Resist the Wall Act"  SB 6 (Lueso) - "Expanding Due Process Act".

BECOME A MEMBER, JOIN OUR MOVEMENT
Membership dues are only $40, half of which funds the local Chapter efforts and the other half goes to support the national organization.

If you'd like to get involved in OCA-East Bay's advocacy efforts, we could use the creativity, time and support to help make change in our communities. For more information you can contact OCA-East Bay Chapter President Michael Moon mm...@primeimageus.com

Sincerely,
OCA-East Bay