Installation of OCA-East Bay Officers and Board

OCA-East Bay

Feb 18, 2017, 3:23:19 PM2/18/17
to oca-east-b...@googlegroups.com
OCA members and supporters,

OCA-East Bay established a board and officers for this current term:

Michael Moon, President
Danny Wan, Vice President
Brian Li, Secretary
Norman Hui, Treasurer

The Chapter is strengthened by a Board of Directors including some newer and returning members:

Jonathan Fong
Francis Lan
Joanne Li
Michael Lok, Immediate Past President
May Briosos Moon
Moria Wong

Some of our past board members are assessing their commitment level, but we know they will be willing to serve at least an advisory role when needed. We are looking to grow both our membership and board. Board Meetings will happen on the last Wednesday of each month, contact Michael Moon for details (mm...@primeimageus.com

Given recent events, there is a lot of uncertainty and fear given challenges facing low-income and immigrant communities, and yes, it does impact API communities regardless of certain statues. OCA-East Bay is volunteer-run, but we will continue to do what we can to call attention or make progress towards filling unmet needs in our communities.
  • For starters, OCA-East Bay plans to continue its PickITup Chinatown monthly events on the second Sunday as a concrete way to build up leadership and ownership within that neighborhood.  Last month we had over 50 volunteers, mostly elementary school and high school students and in the four times we have done PickITup we have been able to remove several pounds of trash and illegal dumping out of Chnatown's sidewalks, schools, and parks.
  • We also plan to develop a new civic leadership program to help build the pipeline of API leaders who will hopefully one day serve on influential Commissions & Boards, or eventually run for office.
  • And as being part of a national organization with several chapters statewide and across the country, we're looking at more ways to respond to the state and federal challenges ahead, and as always we'll be assessing what information and resources from the National Center that we can adapt locally.
Please reach out to us if there are projects and campaigns that OCA-East Bay could support, but keep in mind we're not just looking for ideas but for partners to help us implement them.

Sincerely,
OCA-East Bay