Fundraising and Jail Support - Propaganda Committee Project Help Needed

Tom Rainey

May 31, 2012, 8:43:05 PM5/31/12
to oc_v...@googlegroups.com, occupy-chica...@googlegroups.com, X X, roundup...@aol.com, Dan Bellini
We have an opportunity to raise both pubilc awareness and funds around $6000 with a t-shirt fundraiser for the detained Occupiers in Chicago who are being punished to set an example as a threat to all of us, to  scare us and our supporters.

Please share any content and design ideas for the shirts. We can offer the shirts for a donation of $10 and we have a deal with Larry (who does all of Dan Bellini's mail order and Larry also donated shirts for medics during NATO) for shipping and taking online orders from the same printers who've been great to work with and reliable.

Here are links to  articles documenting what attorneys have discovered so far about the detention of these individuals in the process of an ongoing national psychological operation against the Occupy Movement:

https://www.facebook.com/notes/national-lawyers-guild-chicago/national-lawyers-guild-provides-wrap-up-of-police-actions-during-week-long-nato-/101509...91004840148

from Occupychi.org:

The reason our comrades have been locked up is always the same: it is an attempt by the State to subdue us. We support our friends because we are not afraid and will continue our fight.  Every major political event of the past few decades is haunted by specters of unjust, pre-emptive political violence committed by the state on dissenters (for a taxonomy of state political violence surrounding international political events, refer to the book Shutting Down The Streets).  The state consistently commits violent acts to defend its illegitimate monopolies of truth, power, and justice.  These arrests typically draw attention away from legitimate grievances (in this case NATO).  We resist the media spectacle- as we support our friends in jail, our attention remains on the reason for their oppression.

HOW TO HELP:

Constructive, fantastic, awesome and fearless comrades remain in jail on false charges. Everyone can help support them. There are numerous ways of doing so.  Support our friends emotionally and physically by writing and visiting during their incarceration; financially by donating to our bail fund at www.tinyurl.com/OCbailfund; and generally by letting your social networks know the truth about the recent happenings.  Below are instructions and information about visiting and writing letters to our friends, along with some useful tips and resources.

IMPORTANT INFO:

If you are going to visit our arrested comrades, be prepared for Cook County-caliber frustration. The “Department of Corrections” facilitates the decomposition of inmates’ sanity and increases the anxiety of dissenters in general.  Do not expect co-operation. Cook County Sheriffs are tools of the state, charged with isolating and terrifying (political) prisoners and their supporters. Bring plenty of patience and possibly this document. You have the information. Use it.

Jail support is not a chance to stick it to the man. This means that you should comply with reasonable requests from officers, such as moving slightly farther away from the precinct, and that you should not antagonize desk sergeants or court officers. When our fellow activists are in custody our behavior outside the precinct can effect their treatment inside.

You will need ID.  Acceptable forms include state ID, driver’s license, student ID, military ID, CPD ID, passport. Bring nothing with you other than your ID and your car keys or transit pass. Otherwise, the Sheriff’s department will make you rent a $3 locker.

You can visit Jay, Brent and Jacob once per week.

Visitors are allowed only to communicate with inmates via a bulletproof, AUDIO-RECORDING membrane. DO NOT DISCUSS THE PARTICULARS OF THEIR CHARGES. It could jeopardize their case. This applies to written communication too. It’s also probably something they don’t want to think about in the few minutes they have to interact with people on the outside.  If you are uncertain about whether or not a topic of conversation is sensitive, err on the side of caution- don’t mention it. Jay, Brent, and Jacob need general human conversation to let them know someone out there cares about them, that they’re not alone. They need assurance that the non-imprisoned world still remembers, cares about, and supports them. We can, should, and will do so.

Empower others by sharing this information. Let’s demonstrate to the public and to each other that another world is possible and that starts with supporting our comrades.

HOW TO CONTACT JACOB, BRENT, AND JAY

Visit Brian (Jacob) Church (inmate #2012-0519002) at 26th and California- the visitor entrance is located just south of the Court Building.  After you pass through the metal detectors, sad/angry clowns who want to touch and antagonize you, and various panoptical absurdities, hang a left from the entrance and enter the first building on the left, called Cermak Hospital. Jacob’s visiting hours and days are Thursdays 3:30 pm - 8:30 p.m. and Sundays 8:30 am - 1 p.m.

Visit Brent Betterly (inmate #2012-0519001) and Jared (Jay) Chase (inmate #20120519003) at 31st and Sacramento in maximum security division 9. It’s down the street from the courthouse, and West on 31st. You can visit them (separately) on Mondays 3:30 p.m. - 8:30 p.m. and Saturdays 8 am to 1 pm. Their next court date is June 12 at 2600 S. California, Branch 98.

If you aren’t able to visit, you can mail letters. Books are welcome but need to be delivered to the Occupy Chicago office at 500 West Cermak, Chicago, IL (only “publishers” can send books to prisoners). We encourage people to drop off books or zines. Letters are always welcome and can be delivered directly to Jay, Brent, and Jacob. Address letters to:

Brent Betterly

2012-0519001

PO Box 089002

Chicago IL 60608

Jared Chase

2012-0519003

PO Box 089002

Chicago IL 60608

Brian Church

2012-0519002

PO Box 089002

Chicago IL 60608

more info

Cook County Inmate Locator: www2.cookcountysheriff.org/search2/

delicious jail support info/narratives: rnc08arrestees.wordpress.com/

On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 4:56 PM, X X <moccu...@yahoo.com> wrote:
Hello,

Currently there are ten protesters still being held by the Chicago Police Department.  One will be released this evening at 27th and california at 7 pm (please come and show some support! :) )

It is extremely important that we come together as a movement to show support and help push for the release of these individuals.  We must get them released and send a message to the state that we will not allow them to falsely accuse and arrest our sisters and brothers.

Please come to 500 w. cermak room 501 this Friday at 5:30 to talk about how we can build a momentum to help push for the release of these individuals.  We will be going over different ways that you can help save these peoples lives.

We will be discussing letter writing, jail visitation and fund raising.

During the last plenary at the peoples summit Joe Lombardo said "You can't have a movement if you don't take care of your own". Now is the time, lets come together as a movement.

Jail Support Meeting
Friday 6/1 5:30 PM
500 W. Cermak

With Love,
Matt

"You can blow out a candle but you can't blow out a fire, once the flames begin to catch the wind will blow it higher"

"Your reputation as a putz certainly precedes you."David Krzesinski