Question on the StewMac binding jig

johnc.marple

Jun 14, 2024, 10:13:30 AMJun 14
to Robert O'Brien Guitar Building Forum
Hi.
I have a wide purfling on the top of this build (Herringbone

I cut the width of the purfling and binding first before cutting the depth as per the guidance.

When I do this with a wide purfling the jig has barely anything to rest on and can slip down into the cut, see pictures.

Should the StewMac binding jig have a larger support ring to accommodate this ?

Regards

20240614_131010.jpg
20240614_131016.jpg

JohnParchem

Jun 14, 2024, 11:45:18 AMJun 14
to Robert O'Brien Guitar Building Forum
You should use the brass washer like thing with the bit to move the bearing down
.stewmac binding.PNG

John Charnock

Jun 14, 2024, 12:56:23 PMJun 14
to obrien...@googlegroups.com
I have the bearing, but can't see how lateral movement would solve my horizontal problem if that makes sense

Jun 14, 2024, 3:16:14 PMJun 14
to Robert O'Brien Guitar Building Forum
Try adjusting the limit bar on the front of the vertical supprt aprt of the jig to keep the router from dropping below your intended depth of cut. Its a crude solution and may cause other issues since the tool relies on gravity to compensate for instruments not being perfectly level in the cradle but It may eliminate the possiblitity of the router dropping and cutting into the side/

John Charnock

Jun 14, 2024, 3:23:18 PMJun 14
to obrien...@googlegroups.com

I had another look at it this evening and that is an option but as you say could be counter productive if not 100% level

I also fitted the brass ring, and it didn’t make any difference

I have emailed STMAC customer support

From: obrien...@googlegroups.com <obrien...@googlegroups.com> on behalf of Fred Brooking <fbst...@gmail.com>
Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 20:16
To: Robert O'Brien Guitar Building Forum <obrien...@googlegroups.com>

JohnParchem

Jun 14, 2024, 3:25:59 PMJun 14
to Robert O'Brien Guitar Building Forum
whoops I did not understand your issue. The donut ring on my setup has a larger flat area.

JohnParchem

Jun 14, 2024, 3:29:34 PMJun 14
to Robert O'Brien Guitar Building Forum
Now I see why I always cut the binding channel to depth and then the wide purfling.

John Charnock

Jun 14, 2024, 4:19:24 PMJun 14
to obrien...@googlegroups.com

@John P, that makes sense

From: obrien...@googlegroups.com <obrien...@googlegroups.com> on behalf of JohnParchem <johnp...@hotmail.com>
Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 20:29
To: Robert O'Brien Guitar Building Forum <obrien...@googlegroups.com>

On Friday, June 14, 2024 at 9:56:23AM UTC-7 artrixo wrote:

I have the bearing, but can't see how lateral movement would solve my horizontal problem if that makes sense

John Charnock

Jun 14, 2024, 4:19:48 PMJun 14
to obrien...@googlegroups.com

@john P – I’ll measure mine

From: obrien...@googlegroups.com <obrien...@googlegroups.com> on behalf of JohnParchem <johnp...@hotmail.com>
Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 20:26
To: Robert O'Brien Guitar Building Forum <obrien...@googlegroups.com>

whoops I did not understand your issue. The donut ring on my setup has a larger flat area.

On Friday, June 14, 2024 at 9:56:23AM UTC-7 artrixo wrote:

I have the bearing, but can't see how lateral movement would solve my horizontal problem if that makes sense

You should use the brass washer like thing with the bit to move the bearing down

.

On Friday, June 14, 2024 at 7:13:30AM UTC-7 johnc.marple wrote:

Hi.

I have a wide purfling on the top of this build (Herringbone

I cut the width of the purfling and binding first before cutting the depth as per the guidance.

When I do this with a wide purfling the jig has barely anything to rest on and can slip down into the cut, see pictures.

Should the StewMac binding jig have a larger support ring to accommodate this ?

Regards

Message has been deleted

johnc.marple

Jun 18, 2024, 2:25:16 PMJun 18
to Robert O'Brien Guitar Building Forum
Stewmac confirmed you have to route the binding first and then the purfling, that's reverse to what Robbie shows in the video course

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

John Charnock

Jun 18, 2024, 3:24:21 PMJun 18
to obrien...@googlegroups.com

I did think of that but the with natural curvature of the guitar the bearing must ride up and down the side a bit.

I am happy with StewMac’s response, binding first followed by purfling

From: obrien...@googlegroups.com <obrien...@googlegroups.com> on behalf of Fred Brooking <fbst...@gmail.com>
Date: Tuesday, 18 June 2024 at 19:30
To: Robert O'Brien Guitar Building Forum <obrien...@googlegroups.com>

I would try raising the stop bar on the front of the vertical support to in effect limit the depth of cut possible, This way the router cannot drop below your intended binding depth if the Nylon doughnut slips off your top. It's admitedly  a crude fix , and may cause other issues since the tool relies on gravity to compensate for inexact leveling of the instrument in the cradle, but.......

On Friday, June 14, 2024 at 9:56:23AM UTC-7 artrixo wrote:

I have the bearing, but can't see how lateral movement would solve my horizontal problem if that makes sense

Stephen Foss

Jun 20, 2024, 5:37:43 PMJun 20
to Robert O'Brien Guitar Building Forum
John,

I had the same problem. I put a scrap piece of UMHW into my lathe and turned a new one. Now I'm wondering if it could have been turned using a drill press (it's pretty soft).

Steve

Charles Tauber

Jun 20, 2024, 5:48:00 PMJun 20
to Robert O'Brien Guitar Building Forum