Thoughts, kerfing exposed ?

johnc.marple

Jun 14, 2024, 10:10:05 AMJun 14
to Robert O'Brien Guitar Building Forum
What is the cause of this after routing binding channels, sides too thin ?

Thanks

20240614_131744.jpg

Paul McEvoy

Jun 14, 2024, 10:11:16 AMJun 14
to obrien...@googlegroups.com

Is that a problem?

johnc.marple

Jun 14, 2024, 10:19:15 AMJun 14
to Robert O'Brien Guitar Building Forum
I was about seven years ago when I published a similar picture, not a criticism but more bad manufacturing process identified by some

Paul McEvoy

Jun 14, 2024, 10:20:40 AMJun 14
to obrien...@googlegroups.com
That you routed into the kerfing?

On Fri, Jun 14, 2024, 10:19 johnc.marple <johnc....@gmail.com> wrote:
I was about seven years ago when I published a similar picture, not a criticism but more bad manufacturing process identified by some

John Charnock

Jun 14, 2024, 10:21:27 AMJun 14
to obrien...@googlegroups.com

Yes

Paul McEvoy

Jun 14, 2024, 10:29:41 AMJun 14
to obrien...@googlegroups.com
I always route into the kerfing.  I thought that's what you're supposed to do.  Locking the kerfing and the sides together?

--
Paul McEvoy
207-699-9526

Doug Shaker

Jun 14, 2024, 10:51:46 AMJun 14
to obrien...@googlegroups.com
Yes, me too. The routing for my binding always goes into the kerfing a little. Not a problem.

Doug Shaker

JohnParchem

Jun 14, 2024, 11:33:26 AMJun 14
to Robert O'Brien Guitar Building Forum
Agree with others. I tend to route my bindings at .080" my sides are also typically .080" so I often have a bit or a lot of the liner showing. Generally not very deep; although I thin the sides of my cutaway area to .070" so there I cut in as much as .010".