Back frequency?

Tony R

Jun 15, 2024, 9:20:52 AMJun 15
to Robert O'Brien Guitar Building Forum
Hi all - I just strung up my first Gore-style falcate steel string OM and ran the numbers.  They seem reasonable  - 99, 179 and 230 for main air, top and back.  But why is the amplitude of the back frequency so low?  I'm used to seeing higher amplitudes for similar guitars.  It does have Gore's radial back bracing, so does it need some sort of adjusting?

Thanks
Tony R

IMG_7995.jpeg

JohnParchem

Jun 15, 2024, 9:45:28 AMJun 15
to Robert O'Brien Guitar Building Forum
First off how does it sound?   Gore says the test setup is such that the amplitude  of the peaks are mot a reliable indicator. Although I am less sure about the relative heights.     I would not adjust it as it would move the peak closer to the top. Some wood is too dense to have a large response as an active back including popular choices like Cocobolo.

Tony R

Jun 15, 2024, 10:35:54 AMJun 15
to Robert O'Brien Guitar Building Forum
Thanks John - I was hoping you'd chime in.  Yes, it sounds wonderful - loud, clear, tons of sustain, and more bass punch from the wound strings than I anticipated.  But all of my x-braced, voiced, O'Brien OMs sound really good, so I'm trying to objectively describe the differences I hear.  The back and sides are Tasmanian Blackwood, and overall the guitar is fairly light, so I don't think the wood is overly dense.
Since the frequencies are plotted against decibels, I suppose I was equating the amplitude of the peaks to volume, but maybe that's not the way to look at it?

Thanks again - I always appreciate your input.

Tony R