Vacuum Clamp - Process for Bridge

johnc.marple

Jun 11, 2024, 3:58:53 AMJun 11
to Robert O'Brien Guitar Building Forum
I hope to get my vacuum clamp this week and give it a try.

How do you stop the bridge slipping out of position before applying the clamp pressure ?

Regards

John

Ray Cutler

Jun 11, 2024, 1:13:48 PMJun 11
to obrien...@googlegroups.com
I set a couple 1./8" dowel locating pins on the bottom of my bridge into holes drilled the top

Mono El Pastor

Jun 11, 2024, 1:49:22 PMJun 11
to Robert O'Brien Guitar Building Forum
Locate your bridge in the proper position. Tape it down so it doesn't move, then drill two 1/16" holes through the bottom of the saddle slot all the way through the top.  When you go to clamp the bridge place the two 1/16" bits into the holes in the bridge and line up with the holes in the top. Push the bits all the way down so they are not protruding. This will keep the clamp from moving. After the bridge is clamped you can pull the bits out from inside the guitar.

Mono El Pastor

Jun 11, 2024, 1:53:04 PMJun 11
to Robert O'Brien Guitar Building Forum
IMG_6906.jpg

In the photo you can see the two bits in the bridge saddle slot

Doug Shaker

Jun 13, 2024, 11:15:12 AMJun 13
to obrien...@googlegroups.com
I don’t vacuum clamp; I use regular clamps, but I still have the problem of my bridge skating around as I clamp. Here’s what I do.

I precisely locate the bridge, then hold it down while I use two small bits of automotive masking tape (3M 233+) to track it in place. Then I surround the bridge with two layers of masking tape so that it can’t move up, down, right or left without needing to climb over the two layers of masking tape. Then I remove the tape that is tracking the bridge down, put glue on both the soundboard and the bridge, and I clamp that sucker down.

Doug Shaker