Process for end graft with mitre binding

johnc.marple

Jun 9, 2024, 2:10:31 PMJun 9
to Robert O'Brien Guitar Building Forum
Hi.

Does anyone know of a documented process for and end graft with a mitred binding, see attached for an example of what I am looking for  ?

Thanks

Screenshot 2024-06-09 at 19.02.09.png

Dick Fulco

Jun 9, 2024, 2:17:08 PMJun 9
to obrien...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Thanks John.
I would really like to know how to make this too!

Met vriendelijke groet, Dick

Op zo 9 jun 2024 om 20:10 schreef johnc.marple <johnc....@gmail.com>

barry...@gmail.com

Jun 9, 2024, 2:43:37 PMJun 9
to obrien...@googlegroups.com
I seem recall a tips du jour on mitred bindings. You can check there.

In His Name -
Barry

On Jun 9, 2024, at 2:10 PM, johnc.marple <johnc....@gmail.com> wrote:

<Screenshot 2024-06-09 at 19.02.09.png>

Robert Gibfried

Jun 9, 2024, 8:07:22 PMJun 9
to obrien...@googlegroups.com
Robbie has a Tips de jure video on this.

Bob
Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 9, 2024, at 1:43 PM, barry...@gmail.com wrote:

I seem recall a tips du jour on mitred bindings. You can check there.

Robbie O'Brien

Jun 9, 2024, 8:14:51 PMJun 9
to obrien...@googlegroups.com
Well, this video goes back a number of years.
It is Luthier Tips du Jour video 17 and I discuss mitered purfling at about minute 7:00

Robbie

Lutherie Academy
by O'Brien Guitars
lutherieacademy.com

Keep track of the changes going on now at
O'Brien Guitars by signing up for my
newsletter

Jun 11, 2024, 3:55:14 AMJun 11
to obrien...@googlegroups.com

That looks like a fingerboard binding video.

The query is related to the end graft process

Regards

John

Screenshot 2024-06-09 at 19.02.09.png

Eric Thompson

Jun 11, 2024, 12:54:35 PMJun 11
to Robert O'Brien Guitar Building Forum
Look up tip du jour #86, hope that video answers your question.  For end graft materials, I use the same material for the binding or my favorite is a wedge shape and use any material that looks interesting.

Mono El Pastor

Jun 11, 2024, 1:59:04 PMJun 11
to Robert O'Brien Guitar Building Forum

John Charnock

Jun 12, 2024, 5:08:08 AMJun 12
to obrien...@googlegroups.com

Excellent, just what I was looking for

Thanks

John

Dick Fulco

Jun 30, 2024, 6:59:21 AMJun 30
to obrien...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I was thinking about a mitred binding/purfling as showed on the video.
I tried to bend the bwb purfling the “other direction as normally” so turned over a quarter angle to get the bwb on the outside when using this on the Side of the guitar instead of the top.
But I can’t get the purfling to bend this way, it want’s to bend along the Thin Side naturally.  So it get’s warped.
Is there a method to do this, or is there a purfling that is meant to bend along the other side?

Met vriendelijke groet, Dick

Op wo 12 jun 2024 om 11:08 schreef John Charnock <jo...@marple.co.uk>

C Green

Jun 30, 2024, 9:04:36 AMJun 30
to obrien...@googlegroups.com
I did this on my last guitar.  I bent the purfling when I bent the bindings in the side bender.  I taped all four together and had no issue.

Sent from my iPad

Dick Fulco

Jun 30, 2024, 10:17:37 AMJun 30
to obrien...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, but I guess you have a lot of scraping to do since the purfling is thicker then te binding?
In my case the bwb purfling tilted down, so it got really warped. Iow it want’s to lay flat instead of remaining “standing right up”
But you had no problem with that you say. Did you use normal binding tape to put it together in the bender?

Met vriendelijke groet, Dick

Op zo 30 jun 2024 om 15:04 schreef 'C Green' via Robert O'Brien Guitar Building Forum <obrien...@googlegroups.com>

Paul McEvoy

Jun 30, 2024, 11:40:52 AMJun 30
to obrien...@googlegroups.com
Can you glue the purfling to the binding?

I did it bashin style, glued up a nice piece of wood to some black and white fiber.  I used gorilla glue which is perfect for this (heat resistant).  Titebond III is the other choice but it has a lot of moisture so can warp the layers.

It bends well that way.  I have had some minor delaminations when heat bending...I think that was because of some glue starvation.

My miters suck but that's another issue.

Dick Fulco

Jun 30, 2024, 11:54:49 AMJun 30
to obrien...@googlegroups.com
Thanks again! Think I know what I was doing wrong. I tried to bend them one by one. Thanks to your advice C Green, I now taped 4 of them together, so it becomes a flatter combined “package”
Worked out fine, see picture. Took it out of the bender and alu foil, just holding it in it’s form now.
Paul, I guess glueing it to the binding would be a good solution too, thanks!
I just read your answer and was already done bending :)
Hope your mitres turn out better in the future, I will have to wait and see how I will do. I’ll post some pictures.

Met vriendelijke groet, Dick

Op zo 30 jun 2024 om 15:04 schreef 'C Green' via Robert O'Brien Guitar Building Forum <obrien...@googlegroups.com>

C Green

Jun 30, 2024, 1:09:36 PMJun 30
to obrien...@googlegroups.com
I think I just used blue painters tape.  The excess came off quickly with a scraper.

Chris Green

Sent from my iPad

On Jun 30, 2024, at 10:17 AM, Dick Fulco <dick...@gmail.com> wrote:

Thanks, but I guess you have a lot of scraping to do since the purfling is thicker then te binding?
In my case the bwb purfling tilted down, so it got really warped. Iow it want’s to lay flat instead of remaining “standing right up”
But you had no problem with that you say. Did you use normal binding tape to put it together in the bender?

Met vriendelijke groet, Dick

Op zo 30 jun 2024 om 15:04 schreef 'C Green' via Robert O'Brien Guitar Building Forum <obrien...@googlegroups.com>
I did this on my last guitar.  I bent the purfling when I bent the bindings in the side bender.  I taped all four together and had no issue.
<image0.jpeg>

Dick Fulco

Jun 30, 2024, 1:17:59 PMJun 30
to obrien...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Chris, you really helped me out.👍

Met vriendelijke groet, Dick

Op zo 30 jun 2024 om 19:09 schreef 'C Green' via Robert O'Brien Guitar Building Forum <obrien...@googlegroups.com>

C Green

Jun 30, 2024, 2:01:51 PMJun 30
to obrien...@googlegroups.com
Glad to help Dick.

Have a good day

Chris Green.
Sent from my iPhone

Sean Gilbert

Jul 1, 2024, 12:33:46 PMJul 1
to obrien...@googlegroups.com
Eric Schaefer has a video on this as well.

Chuck

Jul 1, 2024, 1:11:36 PMJul 1
to Robert O'Brien Guitar Building Forum
I typically glue my purfling in separate from my binding. I use strips of HDPE plastic in the same size as my binding to hold the purfling in place while gluing. You probably already know this, but if the geometry of your glued purfling is off and some sections are not parallel with the sides, then it is tough to get your binding to sit properly. Another thing I had to learn the hard way. If your purfling channel varies even a little bit in the depth of the cut, it is the binding that will suffer. Your purfling can never change in thickness, so if your channel is a couple thousandths less in one spot, then the binding will also need to be a couple thousandths thinner when you scrape everything flat, and will appear inconsistent when viewed from above. You probably know this stuff, but sharing my hard lessons learned.

Dick Fulco

Jul 1, 2024, 2:35:47 PMJul 1
to obrien...@googlegroups.com
Hi Chuck,

Thanks, that are surely things to keep in mind!

Met vriendelijke groet, Dick

Op ma 1 jul 2024 om 19:11 schreef Chuck <dba.h...@gmail.com>

Dick Fulco

Jul 3, 2024, 11:52:09 AMJul 3
to obrien...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I promised to send a picture, so here it is.
Not perfect, but for a first time I’m happy enough.
Have to finish scraping yet.

Met vriendelijke groet, Dick

Op ma 1 jul 2024 om 20:35 schreef Dick Fulco <dick...@gmail.com>

Barry Oren

Jul 3, 2024, 12:15:09 PMJul 3
to obrien...@googlegroups.com
Nice work Dick!

In His Name -

Barry

On Jul 3, 2024, at 11:51 AM, Dick Fulco <dick...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

I promised to send a picture, so here it is.
Not perfect, but for a first time I’m happy enough.
Have to finish scraping yet.
<image_67181313.JPG>

Met vriendelijke groet, Dick

Dick Fulco

Jul 3, 2024, 12:57:58 PMJul 3
to obrien...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Barry!  :)

Met vriendelijke groet, Dick

Op wo 3 jul 2024 om 18:15 schreef Barry Oren <barry...@gmail.com>

C Green

Jul 3, 2024, 1:50:24 PMJul 3
to obrien...@googlegroups.com
Looks good Dick.

Chris Green

Sent from my iPad

Joe Shuter

Jul 3, 2024, 2:17:14 PM (14 days ago) Jul 3
to obrien...@googlegroups.com
Dick, it doesn't look like your mitred binding was your first time. Looks great! Scooter

Dick Fulco

Jul 3, 2024, 2:17:52 PM (14 days ago) Jul 3
to obrien...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Chris!

Met vriendelijke groet, Dick

Op wo 3 jul 2024 om 19:50 schreef 'C Green' via Robert O'Brien Guitar Building Forum <obrien...@googlegroups.com>

Dick Fulco

Jul 3, 2024, 2:18:22 PM (14 days ago) Jul 3
to obrien...@googlegroups.com
Thank you very much Scooter!

Met vriendelijke groet, Dick

Op wo 3 jul 2024 om 20:17 schreef Joe Shuter <jwsh...@gmail.com>

Chuck

Jul 4, 2024, 7:01:20 PM (13 days ago) Jul 4
to Robert O'Brien Guitar Building Forum
Looks good!

Dick Fulco

Jul 5, 2024, 12:28:48 AM (13 days ago) Jul 5
to obrien...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Chuck!

Met vriendelijke groet, Dick

Op vr 5 jul 2024 om 01:01 schreef Chuck <dba.h...@gmail.com>

Ramon Tristani

Jul 7, 2024, 2:30:03 AM (10 days ago) Jul 7
to obrien...@googlegroups.com
Check out this video from Pablo Requena. This is how I do it.