Elevate Binding Jig ?

johnc.marple

Jun 21, 2024, 4:54:00 AM (9 days ago) Jun 21
to Robert O'Brien Guitar Building Forum
Probably been asked before but is anyone using it and like it?

Seems a bit alien to me and fraught with possible danger of trashing the edge, you need three hands !

Regards

John

Rich

Jun 21, 2024, 8:42:35 AM (9 days ago) Jun 21
to Robert O'Brien Guitar Building Forum
LMII or Elevate binding jig?  Go to that thread Aug. 2023
Rich

Fred Brooking

Jun 22, 2024, 2:22:03 AM (8 days ago) Jun 22
to Robert O'Brien Guitar Building Forum

I own the StewMac binding  jig , but I have recently had the opportunity to use the Elevate Binding jig.

The Stewmac jig is a familiar concept, kind of like an comfortable pair of boots,  but it's reliance on interchangable bearings and visual depth of cut adjustments makes it less precise than the Elevate Jig , and set up time can be significant between setting the cradle and adjusting the router for dept of cut.

The Elevate jig has some significant design advantages; size, overall precision, ease of set up and its use of a cutter with a relativly inexpensive replaceable cutter head; which costs less than 1/2 the cost of the stewmac router bit. Another advantage if one is building a varienty of instruments is not having to buy (or build) and store multiple cradles to hold various different sized instruments.

I will admit that the first time I used the Elevate jig it scared the hell out of me. The one downside to the Elevate Jig is the totally unnatural feeling of freehand feeding an instrument body into the cutter and not being able to see, or feel, that you are doing it correctly without getting down on your knees and working above your head.

It is very disconcerting at first,  and I dont think it would  be exagerating to say that it requires a gigantic leap of faith to commit a guitar body on which you have spent many hours,  and invested an not insignificant amount of money on ,  to an unfamiliar tool.

The results are however turned out excellent. The Elevate Jig cuts a very consistent,  clean, binding channel and despite my trepidation and clumsiness during the first use worked flawlessly,  even if it did elevate my heart rate and blood pressure.

After using the Elevate Jig , I have to say that if I had an extra $500 laying around,  I could see myself retiring the stewmac binding jig; if for no other reasons than the space saving considerations, flexability, and set up time advantages.

Fred

Michael Minton

Jun 22, 2024, 9:41:47 AM (8 days ago) Jun 22
to Robert O'Brien Guitar Building Forum
I second Fred's observations.  I bought an Elevate binding jig and have used it now on 3 guitars.  At first, it scared the heck out of me.  I practiced on some scraps, and eventually gained the confidence to try it on the first guitar.  Because the cutter keys off the side, not the top, as you move the guitar on the jig to make the cut, you must ensure that the side remains in contact with (flush upon) both bearings on the guide holder.  The most critical one is the back bearing, if the guitar side comes up off that bearing (i.e., you have tilted the guitar forward), you will overcut the channel, and be very sad.  In the video, the person demonstrating gets down low to see the bearings.  I found that very awkward, and went slowly in an upright position and relied on feel to make sure the side remained on that back bearing as I went.  It is good to get the feel of safely removing the guitar from the jig, (and then re-engaging), because you have to change hand positions as you go.  Maybe after a lot of practice you could change hand positions "hot" and complete the process in one continuous movement, but I haven't achieved that level of skill.

The jig is extraordinarily easy to set up, and makes a very precise cut.  There are no angular errors or shallow cuts that arise when you have a jig that keys off a slanted top, but instead uses a straight side.
I recommend it, with the proviso that the pucker factor is high.

Michael

David Payne

Jun 22, 2024, 9:50:05 AM (8 days ago) Jun 22
to obrien...@googlegroups.com
I use a hand gramil cutter to score the sides before I go to the binding cutting machine. This is to prevent chip out of the sides. I set the gramil cutter to the exact depth of the binding and score the sides the when routing I get no chip out.  If your not familiar with a grail it is a hand tool and they aren't expensive but will save you the hassle of filling chip out.

Nikko
Constantine Guitars

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/obrien-forum/5013d466-30e6-4bba-a915-6d045dedb63fn%40googlegroups.com
.

Paul McEvoy

Jun 22, 2024, 10:37:24 AM (8 days ago) Jun 22
to obrien...@googlegroups.com
That's what I use to.  I hate using it, it's not fun and makes a mess but it does work.

I do find that the thing that's supposed to measure your binding stack and set the depth never works particularly well so I do a lot of trial and error about getting the right depth.

In the future I'm going to do some roughing passes instead of going full depth and also do a gramil cut.

Doug Shaker

Jun 22, 2024, 10:58:41 AM (8 days ago) Jun 22
to obrien...@googlegroups.com
I hadn’t thought of scoring the cut with a gramil first! Fabulous idea! Thank you!

Doug Shaker

Eric Thompson

Jun 22, 2024, 11:17:13 AM (8 days ago) Jun 22
to obrien...@googlegroups.com

I use the gramil tool as well, works great and prevent side blowouts (which I had a few) .  But also I sharpen the binding cutter after a couple guitars and clean it after every use.

Kevin Sjostrand

Jun 22, 2024, 12:22:45 PM (8 days ago) Jun 22
to obrien...@googlegroups.com
I've used a handmade gramil to do this too. I've only needed it when I'm routing a redwood top but it's great insurance

Kevin in Visalia

Doug Shaker

Jun 22, 2024, 12:43:53 PM (8 days ago) Jun 22
to obrien...@googlegroups.com
I just did a flamenca blanca with Mediterranean cypress back and sides. I didn’t scribe the cuts with a gramil, unfortunately, and I got lots of little tear out.

Doug Shaker

David Payne

Jun 22, 2024, 12:58:11 PM (8 days ago) Jun 22
to obrien...@googlegroups.com
I set my gramil and score a sample scrap of wood. Then I cut the scrap on the binding jig and check the fit of the binding. I don't proceed until all the adjustments yield a perfect fit.

Nikko
Constantine Guitars

On Saturday, June 22, 2024 at 07:37:24 AM PDT, Paul McEvoy <paulmc...@gmail.com> wrote:

That's what I use to.  I hate using it, it's not fun and makes a mess but it does work.

I do find that the thing that's supposed to measure your binding stack and set the depth never works particularly well so I do a lot of trial and error about getting the right depth.

In the future I'm going to do some roughing passes instead of going full depth and also do a gramil cut.

Paul McEvoy

Jun 22, 2024, 1:00:00 PM (8 days ago) Jun 22
to obrien...@googlegroups.com
Yeah that's what I do to.  It's supposed to set itself by the gap in the jig but I don't find it works very well.

In the future though I'm going to do multiple passes and ease up on it.

taylordb

Jun 22, 2024, 8:53:24 PM (8 days ago) Jun 22
to Robert O'Brien Guitar Building Forum
I use the Elevate Binding Jig and love it.  Yes, when you first start using it the pucker factor is off the scales.....but once you figure out you can take small sections at a time rather than trying one continuous cut, it becomes very easy.  The channels are very precise and cleanly cut.  I highly recommend biting the bullet and getting one.