Joseph Bohmann Palor

Gregor331979

Jun 14, 2024, 8:14:36 PMJun 14
to Robert O'Brien Guitar Building Forum
So hello to all,

Thanks in advance for any help and suggestions on this instrument.   I've recently acquired this parlor. The story goes that it was purchased when the Bohmann factory was closing.  It actually doesn't have a label in side neither are there any markings like a stamp of any kind that says what it is.  But from my searching it does fit the bill to be a Bohmann.  I intend to do restoration work on the instrument as I love a challenge. You can see from the images that it's pretty rough.

Obviously it needs a new bridge, either  refurbishing the finger board or replacing it.   I think I'd like to refinish the entire instrument and considering that it looks like french polish and I can do that (thanks for the class Robbie) I'll be able to take care of that when the time comes.

Now here is a question that I'm wondering about can the fingerboard be saved or not?  It's got a lot of craters in it as well giant cracks.  I'd think about just replacing but here is the thing what I've been reading is that the finger board and the bridge are probably ebonized maple.  The bridge doesn't look like ebony to me.

So how would this have been done?  Just maple stained black?

Thanks again

Greg

Gregor331979

Jun 14, 2024, 8:28:10 PMJun 14
to Robert O'Brien Guitar Building Forum
IMG_1962.jpg

IMG_1963.jpgIMG_1967.jpgIMG_1968.jpgIMG_1969.jpg

barry...@gmail.com

Jun 14, 2024, 9:05:37 PMJun 14
to obrien...@googlegroups.com
Hi Greg!

That could be a neat project - complete with challenges.

I’d do some additional research to determine what value it may have, although the headstock/tuner conundrum probably negates any actual value. You may want to do a veneer front and back to hide ask that mess…course if you do that you may as well  change out the tuners and if you do that you may as well replace the fretboard and what the heck, a new bridge is in order.

I read my grandchildren a book…If you give a mouse a cookie…

Seriously, you could really learn a lot from this project, but I question the remaining value…Others on the forum will know better.

I refurbished a ‘59 Epiphone Archtop - the value was i’m putting it back the way the friend remembered it when his grandfather gigged with it in DC. It came to me in a pillowcase - in pieces after 30 years in an attic. It was a fun project that turned out really well.

I just finished a ‘54 Strat s/n 0175!

It is in my studio as a museum piece - I cleaned it up and will replace some oddities like knobs with the original vintage as I find them. Another fun project.

Some projects have no real value, but they teach us a lot!

Take lots of pictures!

In His Name -
Barry

On Jun 14, 2024, at 8:14 PM, Gregor331979 <gregor...@gmail.com> wrote: