Spraying finish in a tropical climate?

erik.tosten

Jun 17, 2024, 1:01:18 PMJun 17
to Robert O'Brien Guitar Building Forum
Hi all,

I'm working on spraying lacquer on an acoustic guitar but i live in Dallas Texas. For spraying I don't have any climate control. This has also been the wettest year on record for us. There is really not a time in the day with a humidity level low enough to spray lacquer (or really anytime of the year)

I have French polished guitars before but need a harder finish than shellac.

Thanks Erik

C Green

Jun 17, 2024, 1:43:32 PMJun 17
to obrien...@googlegroups.com
Are you using rattle cans or a spray gun.  If a spray gun add retarder to slow drying to allow the moisture to escape and use light coats.  This will help with the blushing.

Chris Green.

Sent from my iPad

On Jun 17, 2024, at 1:01 PM, erik.tosten <erik....@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi all,

I'm working on spraying lacquer on an acoustic guitar but i live in Dallas Texas. For spraying I don't have any climate control. This has also been the wettest year on record for us. There is really not a time in the day with a humidity level low enough to spray lacquer (or really anytime of the year)

I have French polished guitars before but need a harder finish than shellac.

Thanks Erik

C Green

Paul McEvoy

Jun 17, 2024, 2:11:40 PMJun 17
to obrien...@googlegroups.com
I just did a guitar in Epifanes rubbed effect varnish and one with the Ken Parker epoxy finish.  I really liked both of them, they look great.  No spraying involved.

Epifanes I thinned 50/50 for the first coat and like 25% each one after and then added a fair amount of Japanese drier.  Very careful foam brushing.  I did 3 coats.  More would have been better maybe but it was nice and thin.

--
Paul McEvoy
207-699-9526

erik.tosten

Jun 17, 2024, 2:39:58 PMJun 17
to Robert O'Brien Guitar Building Forum
Paul I have not heard of Epifanes I will look into it. I have looked into the Ken Parker process.

Chris, I am using a spray gun, and I add 15% retarder to my lacquer mix. It is so humid here, though I have had points where I'm spraying, and thick beads of water just form on the surface. I am also afraid of adding too much retarder. I spray the entire guitar with a straight retarder after three coats of lacquer, which helps with blushing.