StewMac SaddleMatic help!

.philip Ingber

Apr 5, 2021, 2:44:50 PM4/5/21
to Robert O'Brien Guitar Building Forum
If any of you use this tool (it’s pretty cool), I need a bit of help. I feel like I need 20 very tiny fingers to move the two pointers in/out, hold my caliper for the right measurement and then tighten with the Allen key....all fumble fingers. Any ideas on an easier method? It’s driving me nuts.

Greg Maxwell

Apr 5, 2021, 5:43:00 PM4/5/21
to Robert O'Brien Guitar Building Forum
Tighten the screws just enough for some friction but so the pointers can still move. Adjust them, check, adjust again, and tighten when they are correct.

.philip Ingber

Apr 5, 2021, 6:09:43 PM4/5/21
to Robert O'Brien Guitar Building Forum
Greg... another question.. the measurements are to the tip of the pointers, right? Or is it “close enough” to put a leaf gauge between the “body” and the shaft of the pointer?

joe

Apr 5, 2021, 6:23:49 PM4/5/21
to 'drbrucet' via Robert O'Brien Guitar Building Forum
Phil, there is a humorous commercial on TV currently about “close enough”. The point was close enough is not close enough! As far as intonation is concerned anality is the way to go! By leaf gauge do you mean feeler gauge? If you are using a feeler gauge that is a pretty strong “almost”. As I remember the saddlematic instructions you use the exact end of the point. Scooter

rossappeldorn

Apr 5, 2021, 8:55:46 PM4/5/21
to Robert O'Brien Guitar Building Forum
I used a ruler to set mine up. I can see how you’d need an extra hand or two with calipers. 66CB3B50-B679-47AE-9B97-2732BE70B340.jpeg

.philip Ingber

Apr 5, 2021, 10:42:01 PM4/5/21
to obrien...@googlegroups.com
And you use the measurements from the instruction sheet? They are different from the measurements using the fret/scale calculator.

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 5, 2021, at 8:55 PM, rossappeldorn <rossap...@gmail.com> wrote:

I used a ruler to set mine up. I can see how you’d need an extra hand or two with calipers.
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Robert O'Brien Guitar Building Forum" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/obrien-forum/f0e00c55-67c5-4e33-865c-a2512aa589c9n%40googlegroups.com.
<66CB3B50-B679-47AE-9B97-2732BE70B340.jpeg>

joe

Apr 5, 2021, 11:53:57 PM4/5/21
to 'drbrucet' via Robert O'Brien Guitar Building Forum
Look at the picture Ross down loaded. That sez it all!  Scooter

Rick Thibeault

Apr 8, 2021, 11:33:40 AM4/8/21
to Robert O'Brien Guitar Building Forum
The instruction sheet puts the prongs at the edge if the pocket. The fret calculater is stating where the string actually touch the saddle. These are two different locations.