Source for neck bolts

Richard Warr

Apr 29, 2024, 8:55:49 AMApr 29
to obrien...@googlegroups.com
Hi all, where do you get your neck bolts from.  I’m looking for barrel nuts and bolts but what I find on Amazon is a a bit hit and miss.

Thanks.

Rich

Doug Shaker

Apr 29, 2024, 9:45:36 AMApr 29
to obrien...@googlegroups.com

Doug Shaker

Robert Erdman

Apr 29, 2024, 10:38:59 AMApr 29
to obrien...@googlegroups.com
My local Rockler store.   But their barrels I bought recently have changed and were not the same as before, they caught in the bolt threads badly.
Any other ideas, guys?

jud

Apr 29, 2024, 1:42:16 PMApr 29
to Robert O'Brien Guitar Building Forum
Hi All! Glad I could finally help someone out. My local Ace Hardware had them. They had them in metric and in USS. They had them in the size that LMII used to sell me and they also had different lengths which is good because now I am building a J200 style and the neck block is deeper so in need of a longer bolt. They had them in black and in nickel. I think a bolt and barrel were about $3.00 a set. Found them in the furniture bolt section. I hope this helps. Hopefully will be showing off the J200 in the next month or so in this chat. It's my 5th build and it seems to be turning out wonderful. All from Robbie's original steel string on line course and his French Polish course. Thanks again Robbie!

IanC Hemphill

Apr 29, 2024, 1:44:52 PMApr 29
to Robert O'Brien Guitar Building Forum
Great link, Doug, thanks!  Just checked them out and their PDF references are really good.  Don’t know about the rest of you, but I often find myself trying to find fasteners (not just for guitar making!) that I *know* exist but don’t know what they are called, and so I have a hard time searching for them.  These references name everything you can imagine and have drawings so you know that is exactly what you wanted.  VERY handy. Thanks.

bleak

Jun 13, 2024, 10:24:26 PMJun 13
to Robert O'Brien Guitar Building Forum
What we're looking for are available on Amazon if you can't find them locally. They come in metric and imperial sizes, and although they are identical in terms of width and length, the imperial threaded nuts will only fit the imperial threaded bolts, and the same goes for metric. Here are the links for the metric pieces:
And here are the links for the imperial pieces:
The only real difference, besides the threads, is that the imperial bolts have a wider head, which I actually prefer, but there is nothing wrong with the smaller metric bolt heads. I hope this helps.

Jack Generaux

Jun 14, 2024, 8:28:11 AMJun 14
to Robert O'Brien Guitar Building Forum
McMaster-Carr

johnc.marple

Jun 14, 2024, 10:11:03 AMJun 14
to Robert O'Brien Guitar Building Forum
Ikea has these if you have a store nearby