StewMac Binding Bearings ? 5.8MM

johnc.marple

Jun 15, 2024, 2:48:45 PMJun 15
to Robert O'Brien Guitar Building Forum
I see the smallest binding bearing STMAC does is for a 5.33 mm Purfling / Binding combination. My binding and herringbone purfling is 5.80 mm.

Anyone else experienced this, and how did you overcome it ?

Thanks

Screenshot 2024-06-15 at 19.44.58.png

barry...@gmail.com

Jun 15, 2024, 5:01:29 PMJun 15
to obrien...@googlegroups.com
I sometimes run into an issue like this and have had success by adding tape to the bearing to increase the circumference. Not particularly high tech but it works.

In His Name -
Barry

On Jun 15, 2024, at 2:48 PM, johnc.marple <johnc....@gmail.com> wrote:

<Screenshot 2024-06-15 at 19.44.58.png>

John Charnock

Jun 15, 2024, 5:11:48 PMJun 15
to obrien...@googlegroups.com
Yes, but I need a smaller bearing for a deeper cut

Jun 15, 2024, 5:29:05 PMJun 15
to obrien...@googlegroups.com
I had some luck one time on a specialized website for bearings. Surely you have those kind of shops in the US?
I was able to buy just one bearing on this site, but it’s Dutch…

Met vriendelijke groet, Dick

Op za 15 jun 2024 om 23:11 schreef John Charnock <jo...@marple.co.uk>

barry...@gmail.com

Jun 15, 2024, 5:57:15 PMJun 15
to obrien...@googlegroups.com
Sorry…

In His Name -
Barry

barry...@gmail.com

Jun 15, 2024, 6:01:10 PMJun 15
to obrien...@googlegroups.com
You could ask Brock - I’m sure they’ve had similar questions/situations.

In His Name -
Barry

Doug Shaker

Jun 15, 2024, 6:16:08 PMJun 15
to obrien...@googlegroups.com
I think I would do the binding run with the smallest bearing I had in my kit, then I’d sharpen a gramil blade and use it to marginally deepen the channel.

Doug Shaker

Michael Minton

Jun 15, 2024, 7:41:17 PMJun 15
to Robert O'Brien Guitar Building Forum
I'd measure the ID and go on Zoro and McMaster car and see if they had a bearing that would do the trick.

John Charnock

Jun 16, 2024, 3:37:40 AMJun 16
to obrien...@googlegroups.com

Hi Dick

Thanks, I’ll look at the website

The only problem is most European suppliers no longer supply to the UK !

Regards

John

Dick Fulco

Jun 16, 2024, 8:52:04 AMJun 16
to obrien...@googlegroups.com
Here’s the US site.

Met vriendelijke groet, Dick

Op zo 16 jun 2024 om 09:37 schreef John Charnock <jo...@marple.co.uk>

Dick Fulco

Jun 16, 2024, 8:53:09 AMJun 16
to obrien...@googlegroups.com
And the UK version

Met vriendelijke groet, Dick

Op zo 16 jun 2024 om 09:37 schreef John Charnock <jo...@marple.co.uk>

Hi Dick

John Charnock

Jun 20, 2024, 3:42:08 AMJun 20
to obrien...@googlegroups.com

Many thanks, I have sent then an enquiry

The smallest STMAC does is .0.5”.

I have asked them for anything in these sizes

0.484”

0.469”

0.453”

0.438”

0.422”

0.406”

0.391”

John Charnock

Jun 21, 2024, 1:05:04 PMJun 21
to obrien...@googlegroups.com

All - Justin case you didn’t know these are the std sizes of the SMAC bearings

Bearing diameter

Size of ledge cut

.925" (23.50mm)

Flush

.840" (21.34mm)

.040" (1.02mm)

.820" (20.83mm)

.050" (1.27mm)

.800" (20.32mm)

.060" (1.52mm)

.780" (19.81mm)

.070" (1.78mm)

.760" (19.30mm)

.080" (2.03mm)

.740" (18.80mm)

.090" (2.29mm)

.720" (18.29mm)

.100" (2.54mm)

.700" (17.78mm)

.110" (2.79mm)

.680" (17.27mm)

.120" (3.05mm)

.660" (16.76mm)

.130" (3.30mm)

.640" (16.26mm)

.140" (3.56mm)

.620" (15.75mm)

.150" (3.81mm)

.600" (15.24mm)

.160" (4.06mm)

.580" (14.73mm)

.170" (4.32mm)

.560" (14.22mm)

.180" (4.57mm)

.540" (13.72mm)

.190" (4.83mm)

.520" (13.21mm)

.200" (5.08mm)

.500" (12.70mm)

.210" (

Date: Sunday, 16 June 2024 at 13:53

Brock Poling

Jun 21, 2024, 1:28:13 PMJun 21
to obrien...@googlegroups.com

Yes, these are for our bearings and binding cutting bits.  Keep in mind that these are approximate.  I’d always test first.

The other thing of note is we are about ready to put up replacement bearings for the LMI binding cutter bit, and we will soon be offering the LMI binding bit as well.  So both systems will be for sale in the coming months.

Peter

Jun 21, 2024, 2:21:44 PMJun 21
to Robert O'Brien Guitar Building Forum
I use my binding router jig for the binding, and for wider purfling schemes I use the Dremel Router base. You can see I added a layer of oak plywood to get the guide bearing to ride closer to the top of the guitar.
191122 (3).jpg

John Charnock

Jun 21, 2024, 3:29:29 PMJun 21
to obrien...@googlegroups.com

Brock

Anything smaller than 0.5” available ?

0.484”

0.469”

0.453”

0.438”

Regards

John

Brock Poling

Jun 21, 2024, 3:59:43 PMJun 21
to obrien...@googlegroups.com

No, sorry.  I will talk to our product development team and see if I can find out where we get them and if we can order a few smaller samples.

Joe Shuter

Jun 21, 2024, 5:30:27 PMJun 21
to obrien...@googlegroups.com
Did you look at the sizes listed? There  were two sizes under .5. Scooter

Chuck

Jun 21, 2024, 7:08:57 PMJun 21
to Robert O'Brien Guitar Building Forum
I know this isn't what you are asking for, but I use this and it will cut virtually any size binding or purfling. I make my own, so often is it a non-standard size.

John Charnock

Jun 22, 2024, 12:32:16 AMJun 22
to obrien...@googlegroups.com

Hi Chuck

I am aware of it and it is an option I am investigating

Thanks

John

Eric Schenk

Jun 23, 2024, 1:50:04 AMJun 23
to Robert O'Brien Guitar Building Forum
I recently build a replica of a 1832 Lacote, which has 10 layers of 0.6mm purfling strips next to a 1.7mm ebony binding, for a total of about 7.8mm allowing for glue thickness. My solve for this was to first using my gramil to cut the inner edge of the purfling channel to depth, then use the smallest bearing I had to route out as much of the channel for the purfling as I could. After that I used a sharp chisel sitting on the ledge made by routing out as much of the channel as I could to pare away the remaining waste and reach the line cut with the gramil. It turned out to be very easy to control cutting away the remaining 2mm or so of the purfling ledge. It is critical that the gramil be set to cut to the right depth to make this work out.

Much easier than cutting the whole thing with a gramil and a chisel FWIW, since the depth is well established by a pass with the router.

Cheers,

Eric

Joe Shuter

Jun 23, 2024, 2:20:21 AMJun 23
to obrien...@googlegroups.com
With all of the conversations concerning cutting binding channels with the Elevate or stewmac binding cutting jigs I feel very happy I am a caveman and use the Stewmac router base for cutting binding  channels. Take your time,  pay attention and the results are really consistently good. I guess you could say even a caveman can do it. Scooter