Cleaning squeeze out

John Peters

Jun 15, 2024, 2:37:40 PMJun 15
to Robert O'Brien Guitar Building Forum
I have always put the back on the sides before the top and cleaning the glue inside is very easy.  Makes for a nice clean box when looking through the sound hole.  I would like to glue on my top first this time.  Once the box is closed, how do you clean up the squeeze out on the inside of the back for a clean appearance?

I know the easiest way is to not have any squeeze out in the first place, but I error on the side of squeeze out as opposed to not enough glue.  I haven't perfected the ability to have "just the right amount" of glue.

johnc.marple

Jun 15, 2024, 2:50:25 PMJun 15
to Robert O'Brien Guitar Building Forum
Just get more confident in using less glue, it does work if you have a good fit

Paul McEvoy

Jun 15, 2024, 3:03:21 PMJun 15
to obrien...@googlegroups.com
Yeah less and less glue, get very mindful about keeping it consistent.  Long q tips.

Doug Shaker

Jun 15, 2024, 4:03:49 PMJun 15
to obrien...@googlegroups.com
Yes, less glue, but I have found that when I go too far down that path, I am re-gluing braces later, sometimes
having to take the back of the guitar off to make sure I can get it right.

But I have also found that two surfaces with glue on them, will easily bond securely, even if the glue layers on
each side are relatively thin.  I have also found that the watercolor brushes known as "scrubbers" are really
perfect for applying Titebond.
So now my ideal practice is
   check the brace for fit, location and clamping
   paint a layer of glue on the back of the brace
   paint a layer of glue on the back of the brace
   place and clamp the brace

I don't always do it, but I often regret it when I do not.  Thus is the manner in which I learn.

Doug [That happened to a friend of mine, once...] Shaker

John Peters

Jun 16, 2024, 8:42:01 AMJun 16
to Robert O'Brien Guitar Building Forum
Why had I not thought about long q-tips?  I some times forget about the obvious, that's why I come here.

Paul McEvoy

Jun 16, 2024, 9:37:29 AMJun 16
to obrien...@googlegroups.com
They are ok. They don't have a lot of leverage.

Maybe a long stick with a sponge would be better.

barry...@gmail.com

Jun 16, 2024, 10:04:17 AMJun 16
to obrien...@googlegroups.com
Hmmm…I always thought they were for cleaning both ears from one side…

In His Name -
Barry

On Jun 16, 2024, at 8:42 AM, John Peters <johnpe...@gmail.com> wrote:

Why had I not thought about long q-tips?  I some times forget about the obvious, that's why I come here.

Eric Thompson

Jun 16, 2024, 3:12:40 PMJun 16
to Robert O'Brien Guitar Building Forum
I use straws for cleaning squeeze out. I used regular and jumbo.   Works very well

barry...@gmail.com

Jun 16, 2024, 3:36:44 PMJun 16
to obrien...@googlegroups.com
Interesting idea…I guess toxicity isn’t an issue, just rinse your mouth out a lot…😎

In His Name -
Barry

Eric Thompson

Jun 16, 2024, 4:17:39 PMJun 16
to Robert O'Brien Guitar Building Forum
I hope you are just joking, and use it with titebond, not CA glues, and no mouth involved
In Jesus Christ name

John Peters

Jun 17, 2024, 3:40:16 PMJun 17
to Robert O'Brien Guitar Building Forum
Straws seem like they wold be good as well.

Joe Shuter

Jun 18, 2024, 12:04:47 AMJun 18
to obrien...@googlegroups.com
I use a really long screwdriver and a damp paper towel for cleaning up squeeze out. I can reach all the way to the end block on my ukuleles. I always put the top on first. Scooter