[Obo-taxonomy] Request to add Vertebrate Taxonomy Ontology

1 view

Peter Midford

Dec 3, 2013, 12:17:23 PM12/3/13
to obo-d...@lists.sourceforge.net, obo-ta...@lists.sourceforge.net
Hi,
      I have been asked to request that the Vertebrate Taxonomy Ontology be added to the OBO library and to serve as contact for this ontology.  The VTO was developed and is maintained by the Phenoscape project.  The VTO covers vertebrate taxa, including fossil and other taxa that are not included in NCBI, primarily pulled from the taxonomy pages of PaleoDB.  More details on this ontology are here: http://www.jbiomedsem.com/content/4/1/34.

Although the ontology already has an OBO purl (http://purl.obolibrary.org/obo/vto.owl), the purls for terms within the ontology are not resolving, and Phenoscape personnel have been told that registering the ontology will correct this.  In addition to myself, several other people involved with the development and deployment of this ontology follow these lists and we will be happy to answer any questions you have about this request.

Peter E. Midford

Melanie Courtot

Feb 3, 2014, 2:50:13 PM2/3/14
to obo-d...@lists.sourceforge.net, Peter Midford, obo-ta...@lists.sourceforge.net
Hi Peter,

I had created a ticket at https://code.google.com/p/obo-foundry-operations-committee/issues/detail?id=122 and am trying to follow up.

Could you please provide the missing information in the below to register VTO under the OBO umbrella:

• requested prefix VTO
• ontology title Vertebrate Taxonomy Ontology
• ontology download link http://vertebrate-taxonomy-ontology.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/releases/vto.owl (which is where the vto.owl PURL currently redirects)
• ontology home page
• point person contact email Peter E. Midford
• ontology discussion mailing-list
• ontology issue tracker link
purl.org user ID - please register there if you don't have one

Please note that the vto.owl PURL is currently maintained by ctorniai, balhoff and cmungall (PURL usernames). Can you please confirm those are the Phenoscape PURL maintainers? I will create an obo-vto admin group for those PURLs, so let me know if I should add anybody.

Let me know if anything is unclear, or if I can help in any way.

Cheers,
Melanie

---
Mélanie Courtot
Ph.D. Candidate,
BCCRC - Terry Fox Laboratory - 12th floor
675 West 10th Avenue
Vancouver, BC
V5Z 1L3, Canada