[Obo-taxonomy] Taxonomic synonyms

peter midford

Nov 2, 2010, 12:38:58 PM11/2/10
to Chris Mungall, Phenoscape Project, obo-ta...@lists.sourceforge.net
Hi Chris,
I'm helping David Blackburn rebuild the Amphibia Taxonomy Ontology and I'm hoping you can give me some advice about synonyms. We have taxonomic synonyms from two external sources we'd like to include. The first is ITIS, which we should submit as a database identifier and poses no particular issues. The second source is from the Global Amphibian Assessment, for which I have been unable to locate a database, but would like to capture the synonyms and indicate GAA as the source. Do you have any suggestions on how to proceed with these synonyms?

Thanks,

Peter

peter midford

Nov 2, 2010, 1:15:47 PM11/2/10
to Chris Mungall, Phenoscape Project, obo-ta...@lists.sourceforge.net
Hi Chris,
Hilmar asked me to clarify what I'm trying to do with this - all I'm trying to do is attribute a source for the GAA synonyms (so I can distinguish them from synonyms we get from ITIS and other sources we may add in the future). I had assumed that the xref mechanism in the synonym tag was the way to do this, but assigning attribution to the synonym is the underlying problem.

Thanks,

Peter

On Nov 2, 2010, at 12:38, peter midford wrote:

> Hi Chris,
> I'm helping David Blackburn rebuild the Amphibia Taxonomy Ontology and I'm hoping you can give me some advice about synonyms. We have taxonomic synonyms from two external sources we'd like to include. The first is ITIS, which we should submit as a database identifier and poses no particular issues. The second source is from the Global Amphibian Assessment, for which I have been unable to locate a database, but would like to capture the synonyms and indicate GAA as the source. Do you have any suggestions on how to proceed with these synonyms?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Peter

Peter E. Midford
Mesquite Developer