User study for explaining missing entailments in Protégé

Stefan Borgwardt

Jan 24, 2024, 7:27:21 AMJan 24
to obo-discuss

[Apologies for cross-posting]

User study for explaining missing entailments

Dear colleagues,

We are looking for interested students or ontology engineers to participate in our study.

Background:

When working with ontologies, understanding entailments derived by a reasoner is not always straightforward. So, we introduce Evee, a collection of Protégé plugins for explaining entailments.

Goal:

We are researching the usability of different methods of explaining missing entailments in an ontology using Evee.

Requirements:

  • you have worked with Protégé,

  • you are familiar with OWL ontologies,

  • you are willing to use Zoom for recording the session

The online interview will take around 1.5 hours and we will compensate you for your support in our research study with a 20€ gift card.

If you are interested or have any questions, contact Ida Siahaan (ida_sri_rej...@tu-dresden.de) for scheduling or Stefan Borgwardt (stefan.b...@tu-dresden.de) for scientific matters.

The research is funded by the DFG in the Center for Perspicuous Computing (CPEC).

Kind regards,

Stefan Borgwardt

--
Dr. Stefan Borgwardt
Technische Universität Dresden

+49 351 463-39209
https://lat.inf.tu-dresden.de/~stefborg/

He, Oliver

Jan 25, 2024, 10:58:49 AMJan 25
to obo-discuss

Dear colleagues,

Here I would like to introduce a paper that we just published, which demonstrates a good use of ontology for COVID-19 study:

Title: “Ontology-based taxonomical analysis of experimentally verified natural and laboratory human coronavirus hosts and its implication for COVID-19 virus origination and transmission”

Published in PLoS ONE:

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0295541

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/38252647/

The PDF version of the paper is also attached.

This paper reports the usage of ontology-based methods to study experimentally verified natural and laboratory human coronavirus hosts, and we found that all these hosts are therian mammals. We also investigated COVID-19 host related issues, such as how the virulence of coronaviruses in animal models changes given the series of passages.

Based on the results, we proposed a Therian mammal host hypothesis, which hypothesizes that the non-therian animals (such as chickens and snakes) are not COVID-19 hosts.

Furthermore, we propose a MOVIE model (i.e., Multiple-Organism viral Variations and Immune Evasion) to explain and study the COVID-19 virus origination and transmission.

Any suggestions and comments are appreciated!

Thanks,

Oliver He

University of Michigan Medical School

COVID-19-hosts-journal.pone.0295541.pdf