[Obo-anatomy] digits: where do they start

Chris Mungall

Apr 24, 2014, 11:42:57 PM4/24/14
to obo-a...@lists.sourceforge.net, jonathan bard
There is currently a proposal redefine digits as extending as far as the
mesopodium (wrists or ankles), instead of as far as the
metacarpals/metatarsals (currently the case):
https://github.com/obophenotype/uberon/issues/420

Opinions? Even though this is ultimately terminology it would be a big
shift with some possibilities for confusion. If we do go ahead with the
change I'd like make synchronous changes in other ontologies.
Interestingly the developmental ontologies (EMAPA, EHDAA2) implicitly
have the more inclusive definition, but other ontologies use the smaller
unit.

Alan Ruttenberg

Apr 25, 2014, 2:32:34 AM4/25/14
to Chris Mungall, jonathan bard, obo-a...@lists.sourceforge.net
I would hope that the old terms would be obsoleted for that significant a change.
-Alan

Jonathan Bard

Apr 25, 2014, 4:38:22 AM4/25/14
to Chris Mungall, obo-a...@lists.sourceforge.net
Chris

You have picked up on the classic problem: where should boundaries be set? On the basis of development or morphology? Through arrows or planes?

In EHDAA2, the digit decision was made on the basis of development together  with the fact that the bones were there at CS20 but the digits were barely defined (hand) or still in the plate (foot).

Had EHDAA2 gone a couple of stages further, we would have partitioned the hand and foot to reflect the distinct existence of toes and fingers and to include the metacarpals (and metatarsals) in the body of the hand (foot). I am not however sure that we got this right because we defined fingers and toes on the basis of future anatomy.

My feeling is that, wherever possible, technical anatomy (as in an ontology) should reflect amateur expectations. We cannot be sure that the use of ontologies in adding and downloading data will be restricted to professionals.

Jonathan

Jonathan Bard

45 Charlbury Road
Oxford OX2 6UX UK