Reflections on OOP

Anthony Green

Mar 2, 2013, 8:40:27 AM3/2/13
to objects-...@googlegroups.com
Jim Coplien shares his thoughts on OOP:

http://www.infoq.com/presentations/Reflection-OOP-Social

Alexandre de Oliveira

Mar 2, 2013, 3:40:44 PM3/2/13
to objects-...@googlegroups.com
This is huge. Thanks a lot!

--Alexandre

2013/3/2 Anthony Green <anthony.ch...@gmail.com>
Jim Coplien shares his thoughts on OOP:

http://www.infoq.com/presentations/Reflection-OOP-Social

Anthony Green

Mar 3, 2013, 4:46:49 AM3/3/13
to objects-...@googlegroups.com
On Saturday, 2 March 2013 13:40:27 UTC, Anthony Green wrote:
Jim Coplien shares his thoughts on OOP:

http://www.infoq.com/presentations/Reflection-OOP-Social

In the same general area is David West's book Object Thinking, based on his experiences with Smalltalk.

Kris Leech

Mar 5, 2013, 4:45:44 AM3/5/13
Anthony Green wrote:
> Jim Coplien shares his thoughts on OOP:
>
> http://www.infoq.com/presentations/Reflection-OOP-Social
The guy has passion! Great watch. Interesting to see someone talk about
morals in the context of programming.

Anthony Green

Mar 5, 2013, 6:11:42 AM3/5/13
to objects-...@googlegroups.com
On Saturday, 2 March 2013 13:40:27 UTC, Anthony Green wrote:
Jim Coplien shares his thoughts on OOP:

http://www.infoq.com/presentations/Reflection-OOP-Social

A colleague fowarded me a link to an earlier interview with Jim ostensibly on the same topic:

Dave Newton

Mar 5, 2013, 8:53:11 AM3/5/13
to objects-...@googlegroups.com
FWIW this link has never worked for me, including when I search on the InfoQ site itself, across browsers.

I assume I'm doing something wrong, but it's frustrating to not know what :/

Dave

Alexandre de Oliveira

Mar 5, 2013, 9:08:38 AM3/5/13
to objects-...@googlegroups.com
Dave, it worked for me the same day it was posted. The next day it went offline. I emailed InfoQ, though.

I think this is a mind blowing talk. I mean, he explained in terms of social aspects what MVC really means MVC, why is it important, the evolution of computing and how OOP fits in. I was thrilled when he said, "DCI does for the programmer what MVC did for the users". I never thought MVC had anything to do with the users, but with as a programmer. He then explains how MVC is a reflection of the user's mental model.

--Alexandre

Adam Guyot

Mar 5, 2013, 10:23:02 AM3/5/13
to objects-...@googlegroups.com
It appears to be back now.

Alexandre de Oliveira

Mar 5, 2013, 3:19:02 PM3/5/13
to objects-...@googlegroups.com
Still offline for me. But now it's not giving me a 404, but a 500 instead.

--Alexandre

2013/3/2 Anthony Green <anthony.ch...@gmail.com>
Jim Coplien shares his thoughts on OOP:

http://www.infoq.com/presentations/Reflection-OOP-Social

Alexandre de Oliveira

Mar 6, 2013, 8:20:12 AM3/6/13
to objects-...@googlegroups.com

InfoQ told me they're waiting for Coplien tofix the broken slides. When this is up again, you have to watch this.

Meanwhile, there's another good video  with Coplien and Uncle Bob discussing TDD: http://www.infoq.com/interviews/coplien-martin-tdd

In this video, something Coplien said was eye opener. He mentioned a certain case where a concept (bank account transfer I think), if developed without upfront planning, would be considered an object. However, with further information, that shouldn't be an object at all. He advocates for a deeper upfront thinking on the architecture.

Well, not everything should be an object, but sometimes a concept is nothing more than the interaction between them.
—Alexandre
Sent from my iPhone

Alexandre de Oliveira

Mar 8, 2013, 3:09:52 PM3/8/13
to objects-...@googlegroups.com
The video is online again.

--Alexandre

Paul Hamann

Aug 16, 2013, 1:23:43 PM8/16/13
to objects-...@googlegroups.com
I found this video to be both important and compelling.  I think every programmer would benefit from both the concepts, and history, presented here.  Thank you Anthony for posting it.

--Paul