[OoR] Ruby Object Mapper

gagan...@desiringgod.org

Sep 1, 2015, 6:14:38 PM9/1/15
to Objects on Rails
Hey guys,

I recently subscribed to this group in order to get ideas on growing our Rails app beyond Rails' MVC.  I am very curious on getting you guys' thoughts on the Ruby Object Mapper project which implements the DataMapper pattern in ruby along with a cluster of other supporting gems. https://github.com/rom-rb

Coming from experiencing a lot of pain caused by overuse /incorrect use  of ActiveRecord, I wonder if I am naively overexcited about it. Have you guys used it? Are you excited about it? Do you think it will help develop better apps in Rails ?

Gagan

Ryan Platte

Sep 2, 2015, 8:33:37 AM9/2/15
to objects-...@googlegroups.com
I’m using it for a project right now and am impressed. There is a learning curve but I think it is worth getting excited about. I’m pinching myself that I have the degree of separation of concerns that I do while working in Ruby!

Note that I am not using rom-rails but am keeping all my ROM code in separate gems in our CBRA-style app. So I don’t have comments about rom-rails…I don’t like that it presently continues organizing the code by “type of file”…app/commands, app/relations, etc.

Ryan