Confused about CAPP_BUILD directory after install

Luke

Apr 22, 2019, 2:21:22 AM4/22/19
to Cappuccino & Objective-J
I did the install of Cappuccino to my Mac from the curl downloaded bootstrap script as per the front page of cappuccino.dev
This walks me though the install and I opt for defaults.  The narwhal directory is populated and I opt to do the build (which has warnings, but apparently succeeds).
At the end of this process, I'm asked if I want the environment variable CAPP_BUILD to be set, and I opt for the default location (/Users/luke/Build).

I note that this directory does not exist, so I create it.

Later, I try to use capp to instantiate a project from template:
capp gen -l -t NibApplication MyApp

This fails with a bunch of warnings about files in /Users/luke/Build not being present.
Apparently I can instantiate my project if I drop the -l option.

So, how do I get this CAPP_BUILD directory populated with whatever files are needed for this to work?

Keary Suska

Apr 22, 2019, 9:55:10 AM4/22/19
to objec...@googlegroups.com
I am not sure I understand the process you used. $CAPP_BUILD is defined during the bootstrap process (when you run bootstrap.sh), before you actually build Cappuccino. By default Capp is built in the root directory of the source download, usually “cappuccino”. If you see a “BUILD” directory there then Capp was built in the default location. You can either change your $CAPP_BUILD or delete the directory and re-build. Moving it may or may not work as I am not sure if any part of the tools use the build location internally.

Keary Suska
Esoteritech, Inc.

Luke Evans

Apr 22, 2019, 1:22:18 PM4/22/19
to objec...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Keary.

Well, I just ran:

… which is apparently the ‘full install’ suggested in the Download section at https://www.cappuccino.dev
The page says:
With or without the starter pack, you can install all of Cappuccino and accompanying tools with <this> command

I ran the scripts in my home directory.

The bootstrap script ran fine AFACT.  I was asked a series of questions and basically just accepted the defaults.
A “narwhal” directory was clearly produced, with a lot of content and I can see the expected environment variables that the script creates, in my .zshrc file, and via ‘env’.

I don’t see a “cappuccino” directory anywhere (except in /Users/luke/narwhal/packages/cappuccino).
Sounds like there’s a build step that I’m not doing *after* the bootstrap script has been run?

I wonder if this would be different if I built from ‘full source’, which is also mentioned on the main Cappuccino web site.
Maybe I should try that, though I’d have expected the simpler installation to have full set things up for use as there’s no mention of any subsequent steps to execute after the bootstrap script has run.

Keary Suska

Apr 22, 2019, 4:01:55 PM4/22/19
to objec...@googlegroups.com
AFAICT, that command only runs the bootstrap, but does not actually build Cappuccino (despite the page saying so). The instructions here always work for me: https://www.cappuccino.dev/learn/build-source.html and better anyway as this downloads a full git repository so you can get bug fixes quicker if you need.

Keary Suska
Esoteritech, Inc.

Luke

Apr 22, 2019, 4:36:11 PM4/22/19
to Cappuccino & Objective-J
Well, I built from source and indeed everything is now peachy.
The two big differences are:
1. The bootstrap.sh process suggests using a build directory within the cappuccino source tree as default, which I accepted (seeing as it keeps everything together)
2. Doing a  'jake install', now clearly builds a lot more stuff and sequesters it in the build directory correctly.

So now, capp with the symlinking works, as does nib2cib, which previously blew up with some obscure messages about not reading bundles.

From this experience, it's hard not to conclude that the instruction on the front page of the cappuccino web site are either wrong or incomplete.
The implication there is that it's possible to install and configure a working set of tools without doing a build from the sources.  However, exactly following the instructions doesn't not seem to result in a working environment.

Perhaps there should be extra steps in the instructions, or at the very least an entry in the FAQ (which I had checked) to deal with what I can only assume will be a common experience for those trying to get started from the web page instructions.

Anyway, I'm off to the races now, so thanks again for responding and encouraging me to try the build-from-source approach!

On Monday, April 22, 2019 at 1:01:55 PM UTC-7, Keary Suska wrote:
AFAICT, that command only runs the bootstrap, but does not actually build Cappuccino (despite the page saying so). The instructions here always work for me: https://www.cappuccino.dev/learn/build-source.html and better anyway as this downloads a full git repository so you can get bug fixes quicker if you need.

Keary Suska
Esoteritech, Inc.

> On Apr 22, 2019, at 11:22 AM, Luke Evans <luke...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Thanks Keary.
>
> Well, I just ran:
> curl https://raw.githubusercontent.com/cappuccino/cappuccino/v1.0.0/bootstrap.sh >/tmp/cb.sh && bash /tmp/cb.sh
>
> … which is apparently the ‘full install’ suggested in the Download section at https://www.cappuccino.dev
> The page says:
> With or without the starter pack, you can install all of Cappuccino and accompanying tools with <this> command
>
> I ran the scripts in my home directory.
>
> The bootstrap script ran fine AFACT.  I was asked a series of questions and basically just accepted the defaults.
> A “narwhal” directory was clearly produced, with a lot of content and I can see the expected environment variables that the script creates, in my .zshrc file, and via ‘env’.
>
> I don’t see a “cappuccino” directory anywhere (except in /Users/luke/narwhal/packages/cappuccino).
> Sounds like there’s a build step that I’m not doing *after* the bootstrap script has been run?
>
> I wonder if this would be different if I built from ‘full source’, which is also mentioned on the main Cappuccino web site.
> Maybe I should try that, though I’d have expected the simpler installation to have full set things up for use as there’s no mention of any subsequent steps to execute after the bootstrap script has run.
>

>> On Apr 22, 2019, at 6:55 AM, Keary Suska <cappu...@esoteritech.com> wrote:
>>
>> I am not sure I understand the process you used. $CAPP_BUILD is defined during the bootstrap process (when you run bootstrap.sh), before you actually build Cappuccino. By default Capp is built in the root directory of the source download, usually “cappuccino”. If you see a “BUILD” directory there then Capp was built in the default location. You can either change your $CAPP_BUILD or delete the directory and re-build. Moving it may or may not work as I am not sure if any part of the tools use the build location internally.

Martin Carlberg

Apr 23, 2019, 10:05:42 AM4/23/19
to Cappuccino & Objective-J
Luke,

Thanks for finding this. I think that the bootstrap installation does not work as intended or maybe some tools uses the Build folder the wrong way. It would be most appreciated if you can open an issue at https://github.com/cappuccino/cappuccino/issues. Describe what you did with as much details as you can including what kind of problems you experienced. Also include what you did to get it to work.

This will help us fix this problem. Any discussion can continue on the issue.

Thanks,

- Martin