Bootstrapping a new project (scaffolding)

Luke

Feb 4, 2022, 1:11:34 AM2/4/22
to Cappuccino & Objective-J
It has been a long time since I played with Cappuccino, but I'm back again (mostly because I remember it was the fastest way to create some quite sophisticated apps with rich tables, sorting, in place editing, searching etc.).

Anyway, I'm trying to remember how one is supposed to bootstrap a new application, once I've build everything from sources (which I want to do to get the latest from master).   Is there a simple command to create a scaffolded minimal app, that has all the framework dependencies in the right directories etc.?

I know you could just unpack the 'starter package' back in the day to bootstrap an app, but I don't want to do this it won't have been updated since the (old) 1.0.0. release.

Michael Bach

Feb 4, 2022, 2:18:08 AM2/4/22
to Cappuccino & Objective-J
I'm sure there are colleges here know more on this; what works for me:

1. Make sure in your shell setup file is good, mine for example:
````
export NARWHAL_ENGINE=jsc
export PATH="$HOME/narwhal/bin:$PATH"
````
(that's the default narwhal path). Can also describe build destination, but default (in your project folder) is a good start.

2. Then enter in the terminal
`capp gen -t NibApplication PathToNonexisitingCappuccinoAppFolder`
This will create and establish symlinks to required frameworks.
Opening the index.html` in the generated PathToNonexisitingCappuccinoAppFolder should run a starter skeleton with a slider and bound text field.
If you want to compile (which is not really necessary unless you want to objfuscate) `jake`is your friend, e.g. `jake deploy`.

Best, Michael

Luke

Feb 4, 2022, 10:53:19 AM2/4/22
to Cappuccino & Objective-J