Kudos

Luke

Jan 24, 2023, 10:18:54 PM1/24/23
to Cappuccino & Objective-J
FWIW...

I just wanted to say that I'm loving Cappuccino.

It has been a while since I tried it, but it is most definitely working better than ever.  The latest (node branch) toolchain is working flawlessly for me (last time I tried it, the cib generation would flake and you had to be careful what you had in the xib).  XcodeCapp just sits there making everything work with the Xcode/IB sync perfectly as I hack on my .j  and .xib files.

I've been busy building up the UI for a non-trivial app, with a fair bit of master-detail behaviour and lots of table/controller stuff with search/filter predicate expressions, labels with 'value with pattern'  bindings etc., and it's all working beautifully so far.

My experience with how quickly I've been able to manifest rich UX in Cappuccino is very much a contrast with what it takes to get anything vaguely similar with the contemporary/popular frameworks for single page applications.  I suppose I have the advantage of having messed a bit with Cocoa in the day, but even so.

I'd like to express my appreciation and thanks for those that still put their valuable time into this project.  In some ways it's a bit of a step-child from a bygone era (Cocoa/Obj still exists, but Apple clearly emphasizes its new Swift programming models, even if I think a few things are being lost a bit in the mix... I love KVB for instance).  The bottom line though is how Cappuccino represents a very rich and mature model for UI implementation and brings it to the web in a way appears to be to be very productive indeed.

While I'm at it, I'm like to thank the guys behind Ratatosk, which I'm using very effectively too (one data controller and a Ratatosk data object to refresh each of the backing data structures in my app, with KVO between them to create the master-detail dynamics).

Bottom line here, is I expect to use Cappuccino for a number of in-house tools, given how productive it is now.  However, I'm curious is anyone has any other comparatives with any other GUI Builder based frameworks that work for the web (if there are any!).

My only mini-beef so far (which I remember from my experiments years ago too) is that nib-defined tooltips do not appear in the web interface.  Also, I'd love to get the undo/redo working, but that looks pretty awkward without the NSDocument and Core Data model, which makes it pretty trivial in Cocoa.

 -- Luke

daboe01

Jan 25, 2023, 1:49:23 AM1/25/23
to Cappuccino & Objective-J
hi luke,
you can have a look at CPTextView.j to get a feeling on how to get undo/redo working in cappuccino.

Luke schrieb am Mittwoch, 25. Januar 2023 um 04:18:54 UTC+1:
FWIW...

[...]

Michael Bach

Jan 25, 2023, 3:01:51 AM1/25/23
to objec...@googlegroups.com
Dear Luke:

> I just wanted to say that I'm loving Cappuccino.
couldn’t agree more

> I'd like to express my appreciation and thanks for those that still put their valuable time into this project.
YYYEEESSSSSS!

> My only mini-beef so far (which I remember from my experiments years ago too) is that nib-defined tooltips do not appear in the web interface.
Tooltips, as entered in the IB, work fine for me, e.g. here
https://michaelbach.de/fract/

Best, Michael
--
https://michaelbach.de