Installation from source on Mojave, into a non-default directory

Simon

Apr 24, 2019, 12:48:54 PM4/24/19
to Cappuccino & Objective-J
So I'm trying to get Cappuccino to install from source, on a fresh Mojave system, having installed Java-12

I got Jake installed reasonably smoothly - a whole bunch of warnings when compiling, but it seemed to work fine in the end:

prompt% jake --help

Usage: jake [OPTIONS] targets...

 -f --jakefile FILE: Use FILE as the jakefile.

 -T --tasks: Display the tasks with descriptions, then exit.

 -D --describe: Describe the tasks then exit.

 -P --prereqs: Display the tasks and dependencies, then exit.

 -v --verbose: Log message to standard output.

 -h --help: displays usage information (final option)

So then I did a 'jake install' and it ran through seemingly ok:

prompt% jake install
(in /opt/capsrc)
(in /opt/capsrc)
(in /opt/capsrc/Objective-J)
Copying... CommonJS/objj-executable
Copying... CommonJS/package.json
Copying... CommonJS/bin/objjc
Copying... CommonJS/bin/cplutil
Copying... CommonJS/bin/objj
Building... /opt/cappuccino/Build/Debug/CommonJS/objective-j/lib/objective-j.js
Building... /opt/cappuccino/Build/Debug/CommonJS/objective-j/lib/objective-j/cache-manifest.js
Building... /opt/cappuccino/Build/Debug/CommonJS/objective-j/lib/objective-j/compiler.js
Building... /opt/cappuccino/Build/Debug/CommonJS/objective-j/lib/objective-j/jake.js
Building... /opt/cappuccino/Build/Debug/CommonJS/objective-j/lib/objective-j/loader.js
Building... /opt/cappuccino/Build/Debug/CommonJS/objective-j/lib/objective-j/jake/frameworktask.js
Building... /opt/cappuccino/Build/Debug/CommonJS/objective-j/lib/objective-j/jake/bundletask.js
Building... /opt/cappuccino/Build/Debug/CommonJS/objective-j/lib/objective-j/jake/environment.js
Building... /opt/cappuccino/Build/Debug/CommonJS/objective-j/lib/objective-j/jake/applicationtask.js
Copying... CommonJS/lib/objective-j/jake/LICENSES/LGPL-v2.1
Copying... CommonJS/lib/objective-j/jake/LICENSES/MIT
Copying... CommonJS/lib/objective-j/jake/RESOURCES/MHTMLTest.txt
Building... /opt/cappuccino/Build/Debug/CommonJS/objective-j/lib/objective-j/rhino/regexp-rhino-patch.js
Building... /opt/cappuccino/Build/Debug/Objective-J/Objective-J.js
    Version:   1.0.0
    Revision:  acda834ad9ebc1b54344edf888c6e86d82428213
    Timestamp: 1556113454036
Build took 508 millseconds
(in /opt/capsrc/CommonJS)
    Version:   1.0.0
    Revision:  acda834ad9ebc1b54344edf888c6e86d82428213
    Timestamp: 1556113454386
Build took 39 millseconds
(in /opt/capsrc/Foundation)
(in /opt/capsrc/Foundation)
  ... <snip another 1230 repetitions of the same line>
(in /opt/capsrc/Foundation)
prompt%

But capp subsequently doesn't seem to work:

prompt% capp --help
Error on line 53 of file [unknown]
Error: require error: couldn't find "objective-j"

Some notes:
  • I use tcsh as a shell, but I added the /opt/cappuccino/bin to my $path
  • It took a *long* time to go through all those 1232 lines of "(in /opt/capsrc/Foundation)" - I'm assuming that's normal

So, I removed all the directories, re-downloaded the distribution, and went through my .cshrc removing anything to do with Cappuccino to be sure things were 'clean', then ran through the whole process again just accepting the defaults instead of installing into a my usual /opt/<whatever> directory. This time, there was a *lot* more output from 'jake install', including lines like 'Compiling xxx .........', which I hadn't seen before. It was also a lot quicker,  and this time:

simon% capp --help

capp [--version] COMMAND [OPTIONS] [ARGS]

    --version    Print version

    -h, --help   Print this help

  gen [OPTIONS] PATH       Generate a new project at PATH from a predefined template

      -l                     Same as --symlink --build, symlinks $CAPP_BUILD Frameworks into your project

      -t, --template NAME    Specify the template name to use (see `capp gen --list-templates`)

      -f, --frameworks       Copy/symlink *only* the Frameworks directory to a new or existing project

      -F, --framework NAME   Additional framework to copy/symlink (default: Objective-J, Foundation, AppKit)

      -T, --theme NAME       Additional Theme to copy/symlink into Resource (default: nothing)

      --force                Overwrite Frameworks directory if it already exists

      --symlink              Symlink the source Frameworks directory to the project, don't copy

      --build                Copy/symlink the Frameworks directory files from your $CAPP_BUILD directory

      --noconfig             Use the default configuration when replacing template variables

      Without -l or --build, frameworks from your narwhal installation are copied/symlinked

  gen --list-templates     List the template names available for use with `capp gen -t/--template`

  gen --list-frameworks    List the framework names available for use with `capp gen -F/--framework`

  config ...

      KEY VALUE       Set a value for a given key

      -l, --list      List all variables set in config file.

      --get KEY       Get the value for a given key

      --remove KEY    Remove the value for a given key

So, I think there's something not quite right with the installation if you don't choose the defaults. Just FYI :)

Martin Carlberg

Apr 24, 2019, 1:31:38 PM4/24/19
to Cappuccino & Objective-J
Hi Simon,

Thanks for this information.

The output from your first "jake install" does not look normal.

Do you have any more information on what you entered the first time in the installation process that was not default?

- Martin

Simon

Apr 24, 2019, 1:51:50 PM4/24/19
to Cappuccino & Objective-J

On Wednesday, April 24, 2019 at 10:31:38 AM UTC-7, mrcarlberg wrote:
Hi Simon,

Thanks for this information.

The output from your first "jake install" does not look normal.

Do you have any more information on what you entered the first time in the installation process that was not default?

I don't have the terminal open any more, but from memory the only difference was that I specified the installation path to be /opt/cappuccino/bin rather than accepting the default.

In fact, I've just run it on another clean Mojave system (my laptop) and got the same results.

Martin Carlberg

Apr 24, 2019, 2:32:09 PM4/24/19
to 'Simon' via Cappuccino & Objective-J
Did you enter only default values on your laptop?

- Martin

daboe01

Apr 24, 2019, 3:31:50 PM4/24/19
to Cappuccino & Objective-J
most likely, java-12 is the issue.

Simon

Apr 24, 2019, 4:11:40 PM4/24/19
to Cappuccino & Objective-J

On Wednesday, April 24, 2019 at 11:32:09 AM UTC-7, mrcarlberg wrote:
Did you enter only default values on your laptop?

Apart from the installation directory, yes.