Priorities

Dan Brajkovic

Aug 27, 2011, 4:36:08 PM8/27/11
to Cappuccino & Objective-J Development List
I'm looking for feedback on Cappuccino development priorities. Please
reply with a list of the top 5 or top 10 or top whatever issues/
features that you feel would help make Cappuccino better than it is
today and better than all the alternatives out there!

Briam Rodriguez

Aug 27, 2011, 8:20:02 PM8/27/11
to objecti...@googlegroups.com
1. Documentation
2. Working examples

Everything else just flows from that.

Mike Fellows

Sep 9, 2011, 1:24:51 PM9/9/11
to objecti...@googlegroups.com
1. Serious work on making things work _well_ across all browsers,
especially IE.

Aparajita Fishman

Sep 9, 2011, 1:26:25 PM9/9/11
to objecti...@googlegroups.com
> 1. Serious work on making things work _well_ across all browsers, especially IE.

Which versions of IE? I can't see much effort being put into anything less than IE8.

Regards,

Aparajita
www.aparajitaworld.com

"If you dare to fail, you are bound to succeed."
- Sri Chinmoy | www.srichinmoy.org

Randy Luecke

Sep 9, 2011, 1:35:00 PM9/9/11
to Cappuccino & Objective-J Development List
IE is possibly the only place where you can say Cappuccino doesn't
work extremely well on. The limiting factor with IE is simply speed
and feature set. IE in general is just very slow. There is only so
much we can do. Every new line of code we add will make IE that much
slower.

Mike Fellows

Sep 9, 2011, 1:56:40 PM9/9/11
to objecti...@googlegroups.com
As far as I can tell not much testing/development is done on any version
of IE. So any version would be better than none. IE8 onward for
serious work is probably a good baseline.

I've made simple apps work on IE6 and 7 and they just don't have the
javascript horsepower to work reasonably under any circumstance (and IE6
image transparency stuff would be crazy to try to fix and maintain).

Mike

Aparajita Fishman

Sep 9, 2011, 2:02:54 PM9/9/11
to objecti...@googlegroups.com
> As far as I can tell not much testing/development is done on any version of IE. So any version would be better than none. IE8 onward for serious work is probably a good baseline.

Noted. Are you a regular IE user yourself?

Mike Fellows

Sep 9, 2011, 2:07:16 PM9/9/11
to objecti...@googlegroups.com
The problem is that IE still accounts for about half the browser usage
share - depending on whose statistics you are looking at. So if we are
serious about one of the key selling points of a web application
framework, cross browser support, we would be developing and testing
using IE along with all the other browsers. And fixing those little
details that are fixable (for example key equivalents are currently
broken in IE) - and identifying features that will never work well
(scrollview's scroll painfully slowly in a lot of circumstances -
perhaps not fixable?).

I think your point that there is a limit to what can be done with some
of IE's problem areas is a good one. But we don't seem to make any
serious effort to sort out which ones are truly unfixable, and which
ones are just IE specific bugs that will require workarounds.

I'm just suggesting that it should be more of a priority - and yes I
understand that it is a pain in the neck to develop with IE as I've had
to do a fair amount of it for my work.

Mike

Mike Fellows

Sep 9, 2011, 2:09:00 PM9/9/11

On 11-09-09 11:02 AM, Aparajita Fishman wrote:
>> As far as I can tell not much testing/development is done on any
>> version of IE. So any version would be better than none. IE8
>> onward for serious work is probably a good baseline.
>
> Noted. Are you a regular IE user yourself?

Only for development purposes. But plenty of my customers are IE users.

Mike

Aparajita Fishman

Sep 9, 2011, 2:39:14 PM9/9/11
to objecti...@googlegroups.com
> So if we are serious about one of the key selling points of a web application framework, cross browser support, we would be developing and testing using IE along with all the other browsers.

Of course I agree, but there is more than one IE, and the majority of IE's internet (vs. intranet) market share is IE8+. Limiting Cappuccino to >= IE8 makes a huge difference in the amount of resources necessary.

alosii

Sep 9, 2011, 8:00:29 PM9/9/11
to Cappuccino & Objective-J Development List
I'm working on a Cappuccino application that will need to work on IE7.
IE is sadly still a reality in some "corporate" giants. I'm having a
hard time getting it running acceptably. Perhaps a feature that will
let you turn off transparencies and shadows? I don't know if this will
actually have an impact or IE7 just sucks :-/

On Sep 9, 1:39 pm, Aparajita Fishman <aparaj...@aparajitaworld.com>

Aparajita Fishman

Sep 9, 2011, 9:47:48 PM9/9/11
to objecti...@googlegroups.com
> I'm working on a Cappuccino application that will need to work on IE7.
> IE is sadly still a reality in some "corporate" giants.

I think "tragic" is a better word for it. But look on the bright side -- at least it doesn't have to work on IE6! :-)

> I'm having a
> hard time getting it running acceptably.

> I don't know if this will

> actually have an impact or IE7 just sucks :-/

IE7 just sucks unfortunately. Its Javascript engine is just too slow. Right now your only hope is google Chrome Frame.

In the future I think we will have to state openly that only IE8+ is supported, this is the second time in a few weeks that someone has gotten towards the end of a project only to discover that it won't work acceptably on IE6/7.

It remains to be seen how much Objective-J 2.0 will improve the situation, but you should not wait for that, there is currently no target date for its release.

Joe Hoyle

Sep 10, 2011, 10:32:10 AM9/10/11
to objecti...@googlegroups.com
Why not go a step further and do IE9+. The more hassle "supporting" IE is, the less likely it is to get done. If I remember correctly, there are quite a few issues with IE, because we are bundling all versions (IE7, IE8, IE9) together. If something doesn't work in IE8 + 9, it seems rather than fixing it for IE9 - everyone wants to fix it in all versions (and support for IE9 is therefore withheld).

I guess what I am trying to say is IE9+ is better than no IE at all - and if fixing IE7/8+ is going to be a lot of work (also, any features that have not been built yet requires a fair amount of extra dev), then maybe it would due better to focus on IE9. I know whenever I have to fix IE6/7/8 issues I get very de-motivated and it becomes such a chore. The Cappuccino project has a fairly limited amount of resources (people volunteering their time), for it to keep moving forward - old versions of IE work/fixing can be very tedious.

If it's an option between developers getting bogged down with IE crap, rather than developing / improving the framework for modern technologies/browsers; I know which one I would prefer.

Of course, this is coming from someone with not much time for older browsers - and of course no real experience with the enterprise and other people determined to use old versions of IE.

--
Joe Hoyle
Sent with Sparrow

Ross Boucher

Sep 10, 2011, 12:12:13 PM9/10/11
to objecti...@googlegroups.com
Honestly, support for IE should not be difficult. It has historically been very good.

Aparajita Fishman

Sep 10, 2011, 2:38:15 PM9/10/11
to objecti...@googlegroups.com
> Honestly, support for IE should not be difficult. It has historically been very good.

That depends on what version of IE you talking about and what you mean by "support".

If you are talking about IE < 8, then honestly it is supported only in the sense that a Cappuccino app will run. But it is not supported in the sense that anything but a trivial Cappuccino app will run fast enough to be usable.

Real-world users who have staked their reputation on Cappuccino are telling us over and over again that Cappuccino's performance is not acceptable -- and thus Cappuccino is not usable -- in IE6/7. And if we don't say that up front and honestly, people who depend on *usable* IE6/7 support may not find out until it's too late that such support doesn't exist, which may have serious negative consequences on their careers. That just isn't fair to our users.

Until we have a proven solution to this *in hand*, we cannot in good conscience continue to say that IE6/7 are supported for anything but trivial applications; the facts just don't support it. And no matter what *may* be possible theoretically with better Cappuccino technology, until that technology is being worked on actively, is realistically close to completion, and has proven to solve the problem, we have to deal with the reality we have right now.

Aparajita Fishman

Sep 10, 2011, 3:12:59 PM9/10/11
to objecti...@googlegroups.com
> Why not go a step further and do IE9+. The more hassle "supporting" IE is, the less likely it is to get done.

In the not-too-distant future hopefully we can formally put this question to the community. If you look at IE internet market share, IE8 has the largest share right now, so I think we should try to support it.

When it comes to intranet market share, IE6/7 probably predominate, but they are missing out on all modern web technologies, not just Cappuccino, so what can we do...

Randy Luecke

Sep 10, 2011, 4:05:26 PM9/10/11
to Cappuccino & Objective-J Development List
Unfortunately we have no one who wants to work on IE support. So even
if we had a 100% consensus it's unlikely it would happen until someone
steps up and does it. It doesn't help that we're all Mac users, and it
also doesn't help that no one on the core team is targeting a market
where IE isn't important.

Until someone needs IE support and works on it themselves, it's
unlikely it will happen.

On Sep 10, 3:12 pm, Aparajita Fishman <aparaj...@aparajitaworld.com>

Ben Langfeld

Sep 10, 2011, 4:06:33 PM9/10/11
to objecti...@googlegroups.com
+1

Ross Boucher

Sep 11, 2011, 1:59:41 PM9/11/11
to objecti...@googlegroups.com
Exactly what you want to consider as being not performant enough is subjective, but 280 Slides would seem to be performant enough in IE6 and 7 to be usable to me.

Obviously 280 Slides is using an older version of Cappuccino, but in so much as it might get slower if upgraded, that seems like an issue worth working on in Cappuccino. To whatever extend we may have spent personal time making the 280 Slides application level code faster in IE, perhaps that's also a reasonable requirement for someone writing any app and trying to target older machines or browsers.

Obviously, no matter what we do, you can still write a slow application using Cappuccino.

Aparajita Fishman

Sep 11, 2011, 7:03:17 PM9/11/11
to objecti...@googlegroups.com
> Exactly what you want to consider as being not performant enough is subjective, but 280 Slides would seem to be performant enough in IE6 and 7 to be usable to me.

280 Slides is unfortunately not a representative example. First of all, knowing the implementation of the framework allows you to make a lot of unconscious design decisions based on performance. Second of all, a lot of people are making applications that have significantly more complex UIs with CPTableView, multiple splitviews, etc.

> Obviously, no matter what we do, you can still write a slow application using Cappuccino.

Well, people tend to make their interfaces much more cluttered than perhaps they should be. And since Cappuccino is running within a single platform window, the temptation is to cram as much as possible into that one window. This leads to extremely complex screens and slow performance.

Klaas Pieter Annema

Sep 13, 2011, 3:43:58 AM9/13/11
to objecti...@googlegroups.com
I need IE8> support, but have always had a good enough is good enough approach for IE. I'm aware of some bugs, but they're not important enough to delay actual development.

- Klaas Pieter

Nigel Goodship

Sep 16, 2011, 7:53:53 AM9/16/11
to Cappuccino & Objective-J Development List
I would like to vote for performance improvements to be a priority.
The performance of Cappuccino apps is much slower than it used to be,
even on the current versions of WebKit based browsers. I appreciate
that adding functionality leads to more complexity and hence can lead
to reduced performance, but even basic window redrawing is now very
slow compared with how it used to be. Just trying to resize a browser
window running the GitHub Issues app shows this
(githubissues.heroku.com). The resizing and redrawing is very clunky
whereas it used to be pretty much instantaneous and totally fluid, and
I would guess that the app code hasn't changed much to cause this.

I'm not sure exactly when the performance degraded so much and I can't
say I noticed whether it was a sudden or gradual change, but I would
be very happy indeed if there's anything that be can done to restore
some of the lost performance.

As for the IE issue, many of our customers are still on IE6 or IE7,
but now that Google Chrome Frame can be installed without
administrator privileges, we see that as a viable solution.

On Sep 12, 12:03 am, Aparajita Fishman <aparaj...@aparajitaworld.com>

Randy Luecke

Sep 16, 2011, 12:12:02 PM9/16/11
to Cappuccino & Objective-J Development List
Resizing started to suck with Safari 5.1
There's really not much we can do about it since we rely on the
resizing events.

Aparajita Fishman

Sep 16, 2011, 4:40:10 PM9/16/11
to objecti...@googlegroups.com
> Resizing started to suck with Safari 5.1
> There's really not much we can do about it since we rely on the
> resizing events.

What did Safari change with resize events that killed performance? Is it just Safari or all WebKit browsers such as Chrome?

Dan Brajkovic

Sep 16, 2011, 4:52:47 PM9/16/11
to objecti...@googlegroups.com
I've noticed the degradation with all WebKit

Randy Luecke

Sep 16, 2011, 4:55:58 PM9/16/11
to Cappuccino & Objective-J Development List
Chrome has always been terrible. Looks like there was some update in
Webkit proper that made it into chrome.

It either has to do with the frequency at which the resize events are
sent, or how often the DOM is updated during a window resize.

Aparajita Fishman

Sep 16, 2011, 5:06:28 PM9/16/11
to objecti...@googlegroups.com
> Chrome has always been terrible. Looks like there was some update in
> Webkit proper that made it into chrome.
>
> It either has to do with the frequency at which the resize events are
> sent, or how often the DOM is updated during a window resize.

We should be able to use the profiling tools in WebKit to figure out where the performance bottleneck is.

Alexander Ljungberg

Sep 17, 2011, 6:40:03 AM9/17/11
to objecti...@googlegroups.com
For reference the slowdown issue is tracked here:

https://github.com/cappuccino/cappuccino/issues/1325

Alexander

Aparajita Fishman

Sep 18, 2011, 6:19:55 PM9/18/11
to objecti...@googlegroups.com
> Resizing started to suck with Safari 5.1
> There's really not much we can do about it since we rely on the
> resizing events.

I would like to point out that it has *nothing* to do with Cappuccino and *nothing* to do with JavaScript. I loaded a file which had nothing more than this:

<head>
<title>Test</title>
</head>

Hello.

Resizing is *horribly* slow -- 1 second behind the mouse. Chrome 14 beta does *not* share this problem at all.

Aparajita Fishman

Sep 18, 2011, 7:00:44 PM9/18/11
to objecti...@googlegroups.com
After removing the ~/Library/Internet Plugins folder, turning off extensions, then putting the latest versions back, resizing is no longer slow for non-Cappuccino pages, but is very slow for Cappuccino. So this leads me to believe there is something weird going on with the resize event handling in Cappuccino under Safari which will have to be fixed.