Working iOS 8 demo?

Alex Cannon

Feb 17, 2015, 3:40:06 PM2/17/15
to objectal-...@googlegroups.com
Can anyone point me in the direction of a working ObjectAL demo for iOS 8? The ones included in the Github repo seem to be defunct...

Karl Stenerud

Feb 17, 2015, 5:26:10 PM2/17/15
to objectal-...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, I’ve been meaning to update the demo project, but have been too busy at work to devote any time of late.
If anyone wants to do a PR, I’d be most grateful!

On Feb 17, 2015, at 12:40 PM, Alex Cannon <acann...@gmail.com> wrote:

Can anyone point me in the direction of a working ObjectAL demo for iOS 8? The ones included in the Github repo seem to be defunct...

Alex Cannon

sig...@gmail.com

Feb 28, 2015, 4:42:51 PM2/28/15
to objectal-...@googlegroups.com
guide http://ohno789.blogspot.com.au/2013/08/playing-audio-samples-using-openal-on.html
git https://github.com/OhNo789/BasicOpenAL

guide http://ohno789.blogspot.com/2013/08/openal-on-ios.html
git https://github.com/OhNo789/SimpleMetronome

Both of those work fine for me on iOS8. Really nothing has changed in openAL in years, any openal demo should be working. Its pretty low level framework that ios8 shouldn't really matter. In fact every openal demo I've tried so far as worked.

Just make sure to convert your audio properly, that was my biggest issue at first. But those 2 demos above work fine. Beware the first one doesn't release the buffer in openal and will take up all the memory and crash eventually. Its just for playing around with. The 2nd one properly handles the openal buffer.

Alex Cannon

Mar 1, 2015, 7:14:31 PM3/1/15
to objectal-...@googlegroups.com
I was actually referring specifically to the ObjectAL demos, not to OpenAL generally. Trying to run the included ObjectAL demos leads to a host of compiler errors.

Victor Sanchez

Apr 6, 2015, 3:24:22 PM4/6/15
to objectal-...@googlegroups.com
Alex, have you managed to run the ObjectAL demos? I've been trying a lot of ways to run it the whole afternoon and haven't made any progress...

Alex Cannon

Apr 6, 2015, 3:46:13 PM4/6/15
to objectal-...@googlegroups.com
Unfortunately not. If I find the time I may fork and update the demos myself but I was hoping someone else would beat me to it.

Karl Stenerud

Apr 6, 2015, 4:19:16 PM4/6/15
to objectal-...@googlegroups.com
The demos really need to be moved out to a separate project, but I’ve been too pressed for time to do it.

Mark Anderson

Apr 11, 2015, 5:04:10 PM4/11/15
to objectal-...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

If you disable ARC under the build settings for the Pods project, you should be able to build the demo project fine (I tested on an 8.3 iOS device).

@Karl, in terms of updating the demo project, is it just a matter of:

1. Update the cocos2d.podspec to point to the new project location as pointed out by Alex in the above link
2. Disable ARC for the Pods project so that cocos2d compiler errors are eliminated. (I'm a bit unclear as to whether this is possible to specify inside a Podfile or .podspec file). Any ideas?
3. You mentioned that the demo should be its own separate project. Do you mean that you want it to live outside of the main github repo?

This seems like the bare minimum we would need to get a plug n play demo back up and running. If you can think of other ideas in terms of showcasing other aspects of the ObjectAL API let me know. I would like to consider a longer term demo project update that would also show integration with SpriteKit etc.

Mark

Mark Anderson
Software Engineer

Karl Stenerud

Apr 12, 2015, 11:53:14 AM4/12/15
to objectal-...@googlegroups.com
OK, that doesn’t sound too bad. I’d tried delving into the cocos2d issues and ended up with all sorts of broken dependencies. I’m still super busy atm but I’ll try to get something working so that I can get the podspec to lint properly.